Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Extra speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 05:13 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

I will beg to differ with you. i have only my 6.5 components with the woofer in the stock location and the tweeters on the door card right by the door handle. Angled them to opposite sides of the truck (driver passenger orientation). Then with tuning and minimal time align, the sound stage is perfectly right below the rear view mirror about 2 feet in front of the windshield.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Starting Member
96jimmyslt4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MTopper
I will beg to differ with you. i have only my 6.5 components with the woofer in the stock location and the tweeters on the door card right by the door handle. Angled them to opposite sides of the truck (driver passenger orientation). Then with tuning and minimal time align, the sound stage is perfectly right below the rear view mirror about 2 feet in front of the windshield.
I don't see what that has to do with my post though?

Old 05-02-2011, 07:15 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

I think he's referring to you stating that because one doesn't use speakers in the dash that their "high end" will suffer. What exactly do you base that thinking on? If that was the case then any vehicle without dash speakers would suffer on the "high end".

Old 05-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Starting Member

hmm, well, the dash speakers seem to be a lot more noticeable than the door speakers.

They bounce off the windshield directly into your ears.

I have the dash without any gain, and the doors with at least half gain to make them even.

I just thought I would point that out.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:17 PM

For the reasons you stated they will be louder, also possibly because they may have a higher sensitivity as well. If sound stage and imaging aren't important then there's nothing wrong with the way you're doing it. It will get loud and sound plenty good to most people as I'm sure it does to you as well. For some with a taste for better SQ, being better imaging, better sound stage and smother frequency response it simply won't. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it.

It all has to do with listening tastes, and EVERYONE'S is different. What sounds good to MTopper, may or may not sound good to you or me. Same goes for what you like and what I like. The #1 most important factor is that it sounds good to you, or to anyone else who's spending their hard earned monies on the hobby.

The reason I pointed out your comment specifically is that it's a very one sided comment and a little misleading to someone/anyone who doesn't know as much. I think you know plenty about the installation and setup. I do greatly approve of your comments on amping the highs as well. People really do need educated on the difference an outboard amp makes over a HU.

I'm just trying to get a little more time spent on the thought process, that's all. The internet is full of misleading or just plain wrong information and the more we can help newer folks get the right information, the better the hobby gets, and not just the "right" information but the how and why things are wrong or right.

Last edited by altoncustomtech; 05-02-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:32 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

thanks for explaining my rushed post Alton.

i was just saying that you don't need speakers on the dash for a good sound. Yeah, the stock system setup wasn't horrible but obviously was horrible compared to an amped speaker setup. i honestly wouldn't mind hearing a setup with 4x6 and door speakers.

96Jimmy, how do you have your speakers wired up? are you wiring them in parallel to an amp or what? in my head you're either running them off the same channels or running 2 2 channels with RCA out from amp 1 to amp 2 so you can set different frequency cut offs.

i'm just trying to see what others do with similar environments and such

Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Starting Member

I have the stock wiring for all 4 doors. Only the front's hooked up right now.

I made new wiring for the dash speakers, going to the amp in the center console.

All 4 speakers are powered by a 4080dsm

I only have the head unit for tuning the EQ, no fancy audio processors or anything high end like that. Just the head unit and amp.

The head unit is an avic f700bt and I'm using the front as the dash and rear as the front doors.

I might be doing something wrong, because they don't get as loud as my sony xm-4045 did, even when I bridged one channel on all 4 speakers...they sound decent though...

btw speakers are DB461 and DB561

Old 05-03-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by 96jimmyslt4x4
I have the stock wiring for all 4 doors. Only the front's hooked up right now.

I made new wiring for the dash speakers, going to the amp in the center console.

All 4 speakers are powered by a 4080dsm

I only have the head unit for tuning the EQ, no fancy audio processors or anything high end like that. Just the head unit and amp.

The head unit is an avic f700bt and I'm using the front as the dash and rear as the front doors.

I might be doing something wrong, because they don't get as loud as my sony xm-4045 did, even when I bridged one channel on all 4 speakers...they sound decent though...

btw speakers are DB461 and DB561

Other than the possibility of a single speaker out of phase with the others I don't think you're doing anything wrong. The change could possibly be a difference in the linearity of the response between the amplifiers. Ideally, in a perfect world an amp would only boost the incoming signal and that's it. However, since there's always differences and tolerances in the devices that make up the amplifiers and other electronics we use the signal can become changed. While it is measurable, it's generally never audible though.

The Sony you had was an old one according to Sony's website, built around 1993 as was the Rockford believe it or not. Since both are that old one or both could also suffer issues with capacitors that are drying up and other such problems.

I wonder what about them isn't as loud as it was before. Is it that they come into stress or distortion before they used to on the Sony? You mentioned the gain was all the way down on the 4x6's and only up a little on the door speakers, which is why I'm so inquisitive about what isn't as "loud" as before. I believe that unless there's something wrong with the amp a simple gain adjustment should be able to level & match the Sony. Again, that's why I ask, discussion on topics like this is good.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:45 PM
steven Dougherty is on a distinguished road

where can i find a spacer for my new deck if i took the factory deck out of my blazer. so i don't have a huge whole

Old 05-03-2011, 08:40 PM

You need an installation kit from Metra or Scosche. You should also use their wiring harness adapters as well, it's never a good idea to cut the factory harness plug off.

here's Metra's website = Metra Online | Welcome to Metra Auto Parts Online Warehouse
and here's Scosche = Car Audio Accessories Dash Kits

enter your vehicle year, make and model and they'll tell you what one's you need.

Then simply search and order the part online or go to your local store.

Quick Reply: Extra speakers?