Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Factory Amp??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:03 AM
parkonahill4 is on a distinguished road
Default Factory Amp??

I have a 98 blazer. The only change that I have made to the audio system is an aftermarket deck with an external ipod control thingy. For the past few months my two front door speakers have been cutting in and out. My back left door speaker hasn't been making any noise for quite some time... but I have never had any problems with my back right door speaker. The other day I went to my car and only my two tweeters in the dash were working. Normally my front two door speakers will come in and out every once in a while but now they aren't doing anything. And the back right door speaker that I had never had problems with before is now making no noise at all. Does my blazer have a factory amp that runs the 4 door speakers or something? If so, where would it be, because I'm guessing that it needs to be replaced. If there isn't an amp, do you guys have any other ideas as to why this might have happened?

Old 09-24-2010, 01:17 PM

Anybody? Just knowing whether or not there is some sort of factory amp would help

Old 09-24-2010, 02:49 PM
R2P
Starting Member
R2P is on a distinguished road

The headunit contains the amp which drives the door speakers, unless you specifically installed an amp for that purpose yourself.

Sounds like loose wires.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:51 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

yea you probably have some loose wires. the only way your truck would have an amp is if you had the bose system

Old 10-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Starting Member
blazerpower is on a distinguished road

sounds like bad speakers

Old 10-12-2010, 09:02 PM
zerepdivad is on a distinguished road

That's what alldata shows for an amp location on a 98 blazer.

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

CAUTION: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Cautions and Notices.

1. Remove the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the floor console from the vehicle.
  3. Remove the console wiring harness from the amplifier.

1. Remove the amplifier retaining bolts.

1. Remove the amplifier from the console through the bottom of the console.
INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the amplifier to the console.

1. Install the amplifier retaining bolts.
Tighten
Tighten the amplifier to console screws to 6 N.m (53 lb in).

1. Install the console wiring harness to the amplifier.
  2. Install the floor console to the vehicle.
  3. Install the negative battery cable.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Starting Member
blazerpower is on a distinguished road

how did you wire up the deck? did you use a harness or cut the factory plug off? did you solder the wires? or use crimp connectors? or did you just twist and tape the wires? if you used crimp connectors did you use pliers or a crimping tool?

Old 10-13-2010, 08:49 AM

I used a harness, and I used heat shrink butt connectors. I also used a crimping tool, not pliers. But I figured out what the problem was. I took the door panels off and tested the wires at the speakers. The speakers are getting power. So apparently they're all blown. Or the connectors are bad, which I've heard is common. Either way, I'm replacing the speakers. I'm not quite sure why they all went on the same day... It's not like I even listen to my music that loud. I'm getting Polk DB651S speakers. I'm not sure how I'm going to mount them just yet... because from what I can tell, blazers have really weird spacing for the mounting screws. I couldn't find any 6.5 inch speakers that have the same spacing. Anybody run into this?

Oh btw, thanks for the step by step how to on the amp removal. That ended up not bein my problem but I'm sure that will help somebody else out a lot.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:52 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

The best way to rememdy the problem is to build baffles or rings to mount them in. Remove the flimsy factory plastic housing that they mount in and use MDF or something equivalent to build the baffles or mounting rings from. This helps in several ways, first it helps with screw hole alignment as you can make the holes anywhere you want when you build the mount. Second, it will help the output and response with the speakers since they'll be mounted to something much more rigid than the dumb flimsy plastic the factory uses. Third, if you decide to upgrade to different speakers again you don't have to worry about the plastic not holding up to another bunch of changes.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Starting Member
FOGEL is on a distinguished road

i had the same issue, its the wiring ran throughout the vehicle for the speakers. your better off just getting a small amp for you speakers while your rewiring them anyways then you dont need to upgrade later on

Quick Reply: Factory Amp??