Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

fiberglass box and cleaned up interior

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Kr.Fabs is on a distinguished road

got a ZR2 a few weeks ago, and the interior was wrecked bad. i got a new rug and all the seats professionally cleaned. i removed pretty much the whole interior besides the dash and pressure washed and shampooed it all. anyway, got it all back in and installed some JBL speakers in the doors and in the back seats, and made a fiberglass box to fit in the corner and over the wheel tub. just thought i would show some pics, the box is still in primer and needs some touch up sanding right now because im not sure what color i want to do it. also, i mounted the amp in one of those cubby doors in front of the rear wheel tubs.

im going to try get pics of the rest of the clean interior and new carpet tomorrow.

also, as a side note; does anyone think my ZR2 sits lower than most? i was parked next to an S10 ZR2 today in a parking lot and his wheel gap looked a taller, and i know the guy and its stock height.

Last edited by swartlkk; 04-16-2010 at 06:14 AM. Reason: **Combining Consective Posts** - Please use the EDIT feature to add information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

that box looks sick as ****!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:38 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

the s10 may have had the tow package and the reinforced rear suspension which sits a little higher in the back. it doesn't look like your rear end is sagging so shouldn't have to worry about that. I like your box. I intend to do something like that

ps - I like your Milwaukee screw gun

Last edited by Benedict1337; 04-16-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Starting Member
MrJP is an unknown quantity at this point

Man, that box is beyound amazing. I had convenced myself to get a JL Audio Stelthbox, but I like the option of different speakers too. How hard is fiberglass to work with?

Old 04-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

ya can you like give me a part list of what i need to fiberglass a box of my own? i went on a couple websites but they just give you like a briefing of what you need.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Starting Member
MrJP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JShark
ya can you like give me a part list of what i need to fiberglass a box of my own? i went on a couple websites but they just give you like a briefing of what you need.
As you can see from my post above, I don't really have a clue what I'm getting into, but I have been looking for instruction, and found the following informative.

http://chris.pfharlock.com/glass/

Old 04-16-2010, 10:20 PM

that tutorial you posted is pretty good. i used one similar to that years ago when i first started fiberglassing. its not too hard to work with, just messy and the weave cloth is very hard to get stuck down, i prefer the fiberglass matt. but pretty much all the items he listed that you need is correct. the only thing i would change is dont use fleece. its not that easy to work with and its very thick so it soaks up a lot of resin. i used a sports clothing material from a fabric store (similar to under armor or lululemon cloths). also another tip, use as much mdf as possible. as you can see i originally fiberglass the whole bottom and back, but when i pulled it out of the truck i realized the bottom wasnt going to be that flat or strong without lots of layers (pretty much impossibly to get fiberglass flat or bent at a 90 degree fyi) so i cut it off and fiberglassed the sides to a mdf bottom i cut out later, you can see this is my second stage pictures. and usually do about 5-7 layers on it, or as many as it takes until it stops flexing when you push on it with your hands. i ended up with 6 layers on mine, but the bigger the flat spot, the more layers you'll need. and in this tutorial he does fiberglass inside and out and admits it to be a bad idea, yes it is a bad idea. i always do all of mine outside. and dont cut away the material of the sub holes and ports until your finished your last layer of fiberglass. you dont need to cover the holes with a full layer of fiberglass, i just dont cut mine out till the end because i find it gets a cleaner edge when you wait until the end. and my last pointer... when your done all you fiber layers, do about 1-2 layers of just resin on top, it smooths it out, and allows you to sand into the box a little bit thus reducing the amount of body filler you need to put on to make it smooth.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:22 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

nice install & design of the enclosure. looks like you did a fine job on cleaning the interior.

and i must say, that is probably the only dk green ZR2 i've ever seen. looks like a nice truck.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
and i must say, that is probably the only dk green ZR2 i've ever seen. looks like a nice truck.
oh really? i didnt think it was that rare of a color... but come to think of it i dont think ive seen another dark green one other than mine. im not much of a fan of the green myself. planning on a paint job next spring.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:39 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

why is it that every other owner of a dk green truck, doesn't like it, and wants to do a colour change on it?

if they still made the medium blue that was available on the 1st gens, then that would be my first choice. but since it's not an option on these 2nd gen's, i'll take my dk green over any of the other colours, any day.

Quick Reply: fiberglass box and cleaned up interior