Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Fog+High beams

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Beginning Member
CodFos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fog+High beams

On my 98 Blazer I noticed that when you hit the high-beams the fog lights go off but once you go back to the low-beams they come back on, is there any way to make the fog lights independent from this relay. I also want it to work with the "quad headlight mod" so I can have the high beams, low beams and the fog lights all at once.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:23 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future
Default RE: Fog+High beams

enjoy blinding people??

Old 01-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Beginning Member

Well I enjoy seeing where it is hard to see.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:34 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

The fog lights can only come on with the Low beams or parking lights. As you know, switching to Highs cuts the Lows off and if the fogs were on, they'll turn off with the lows too. After you finish the quad-beam mod, that should allow everything to work as you want. It will allow the Low (and fogs too) to stay on when you turn the Highs on.

I don't like how the use of certain lights are dictated by other lights. I would greatly prefer it if every set of lights was independent from one another so I could turn on any combination of lights that I wish.

FWIW, My fog lights (with silverstar bulbs in them) are quite dim in comparison to my other lights. Even in fog, they don't seem to help me that much...

Old 01-24-2009, 03:23 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

But then again, Matt, how often do we get fog here in Fort Worth?

Old 01-24-2009, 03:27 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

ORIGINAL: rriddle3

But then again, Matt, how often do we get fog here in Fort Worth?
VERY TRUE!

Although, we had that "Freezing Fog" advisory a few weeks back.... INTENSE!!!

Old 01-25-2009, 03:01 AM
Beginning Member

Its the same way in Colorado, fog lights are kind of pointless here. They just look cool.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:23 PM
flyinquack is an unknown quantity at this point

in most states, it is illegal and you will not pass inspection if your fog lights can go on with your high beams. the point of fog lights are to help see things close to the front of your vehicle in bad weather and high beams just bounce light everywhere. one easier way to help this is to use a bulb or lens with a devoted color. yellow usually works best for fog light because its a medium wavelength and our eyes recognize it easily. red travels the furthest and blue (the bright *** annoying bulbs people use - sorta) travels the shortest. yellow fits right in the middle.

if you really wanted to, you can take apart your dash to access the light dimmer and mod that. im not really sure on the wire colors but i can take a look tomorrow when im working on mine. i plan on adding a set of yellow lights on my guard when it comes in just because i live in an area where i get fog and ****ty weather (pa).

Old 01-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Starting Member
Bigringtravis is on a distinguished road

I was told they switch off to keep the load down on the alternator..?

I use Hella 500ff driving lights to navigate home on a few dark and lonely country roads. I have them outfitted with the gold ion bulbs and they really REALLY light up a deer on the side of the road. They are 50 watts but way too bright to run in traffic. I've run silverstars and all that and they are a joke in my opinion and are horrible in the rain period and do even worse in the sleet/snow we get around here.

Just my .02

Old 01-31-2009, 02:44 AM
Beginning Member

I could see a load issue being in place for that. More or less, its just another way to get more light for not spending any money on it. I figure I could mod the switch so I could just turn the fog lights on and off whenever, maybe track down the relay or fuse that controls that down. That way I can have the fogs on all the time or off. As for inspections, just be able to undo whatever I do to return it to stock. Ill have to look up the laws for that in CO.

Quick Reply: Fog+High beams