Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Got a new HU... doesnt want to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 01:50 AM
Beginning Member
in4lo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got a new HU... doesnt want to work.

I got a $90 Walmart special Sony HU. Its got a good ground (I tried the factory ground, wouldnt work, so I grounded it to the bolt in the little area in front of the cupholders in the front console area)

Itll take a CD and eject it... but it WILL NOT come on. Tried wiring it 2 different ways... no different results. Is the HU screwed up or am I incapable of this simple task?

Old 12-04-2008, 11:34 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: Got a new HU... doesnt want to work.

I would try and figure out why the factory ground isn't working.

Also, I've taken the center console out plenty of times but I can't remember for sure but I'm not even sure that little bolt is grounded. I thought it was mainly to hold the plastic together.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Good_Chevy is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you buy a harness or did you splice it all together? And how was your old HU grounded?

Old 12-04-2008, 01:17 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

if your factory ground isnt working you need to trouble shoot and figure out why. and x2 on Good_Chevy's question, did you buy a wiring harness for your truck?

Old 12-04-2008, 06:18 PM
PABlazer is an unknown quantity at this point

first off i would check fuses since those r the cheapest and easiest things to fix... did ur factory deck or ur prior deck work before u tried to install the new headunit??? if so then u need to go back threw all ur wiringing and make sure it is connected good... and if u did buy a wire harness make sure ur red goes to red, ur yellow to yellow, and ur black to black..

Old 12-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Beginning Member

Factory head unit was working like a charm when I pulled it not 5 minutes prior to the swap. Changed the fuses, no alteration. Verified my connections. The new ground arced when I tested it with the ground wire from the radio... the factory ground did not.

I didnt buy a harness, I'm going to wire it up myself.

Like I said, the factory radio worked fine... but it didnt like to play cds that werent like brand new. That's why I was changing it out... and the fact that the factory HU had NO bass output at all and sounded like dog rump.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Beginning Member

ORIGINAL: otnietdehoooo

I would try and figure out why the factory ground isn't working.

Also, I've taken the center console out plenty of times but I can't remember for sure but I'm not even sure that little bolt is grounded. I thought it was mainly to hold the plastic together.
It's more of a nut than a bolt, and the stud is grounded via metal+metal contact to the floor pan. My amp is grounded there and works fantastic.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:15 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

did you make sure the faceplate is secure? if it dont work then take that garbage back and get something else

Old 12-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Beginning Member

It's actually kind of loose, no matter which way I put it on... but if I push it in, the piece of junk still won't work.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Good_Chevy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd take it back and get Alpine or Pioneer Premier if it's in your price range.

Quick Reply: Got a new HU... doesnt want to work.