Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Having trouble finding my way (New to Blazer audio)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Starting Member
ripintheuniverse is on a distinguished road
Post Having trouble finding my way (New to Blazer audio)

Hey guys, first time posting here because I can't find any other info online of how to install some new speakers into my Blazer. I have the 2001 2-door version, it's a manual if that helps.

I'm only 16 and don't have a ton of cash so I'm not aiming at super high top if the line speakers. I know my stereo/dash unit is aftermarket (although it doesn't have an AUX input, which bugs me) but I'm looking at replacing it. I can't find any guides on how to rip that out and put in a new one.

The 2 door speakers are also aftermarket and I'm happy with them for now, but that's about all I'm using in my car as of the moment. I looked at the 2 6x9 panels in the back and they're empty. I have no idea what the small compartments near the floor do, although I can see there are 2 holes drilled in each and I can reach up to the 6x9 speaker spot from that compartment.

Honestly I just don't know what I'm doing, and I want to learn. There are some guides on this website but they've been very confusing as it's mostly just text and no picture instruction. So if someone could help me out with what I would need to install new 6x9 speakers. Wiring is my main concern because I'm absolutely clueless on how to do it. Thanks for reading.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:08 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

I'm not aware of any really good guides for replacing the factory equipment in these trucks. That doesn't mean they don't exist, I've never had a need for them so I've never gone searching.

I would suggest not even worrying about putting 6x9's back in the truck. The music was recorded and intended to be listened to by speakers in front of you. It works to get the proper staging and imaging that makes the music sound real. You don't go to a concert and face away from the band? You don't sit in your living room with your back to the TV when watching a movie do you? It's how the recordings are intended to work as well. Saving your money to get even a mediocre set of components for the front of your truck and focusing on the installation, to ensure it's as good as possible, will yield better sound and potentially more output than buying the cheapest things you can just to fill all the holes in the truck. Then, down the road, you can buy a good 2 channel amp and get even more from them, or a 4 channel and a decent little sub to bridge the 3rd and 4th channels to.

There's plenty of good ways to go about getting great aftermarket sound without spending a fortune or adding a ton of crap to the truck. Of course, there's nothing wrong with the latter if your goals change, but when a tight budget is the limiting factor one has to work within their means to do the best they can.

Give me a target budget and I'll post up a few recommendations.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

The best sounding system I've done over the years was the simplest. a pair of 6.5" components in the doors with a pair tweets in the a-pillars all w/ x-overs(not in the dash, but beside the windshield pointing toward the glass. stock speakers in the back doors. a 4 channel amp to run the door/dash speakers and a 2 channel to run the 2 10" subs. with the stock rear speakers it kept all the highs in the front. it didn't sound that loud inside(windows down it sounded amazing outside), but the quality is still the best i've heard yet. I didn't plan, nor do i pretend to know what i did that worked so well. I have heard i could have used the head unit to power the speakers as well, but the sound may not have been as good as it was. I bought it all used or discontinued. i asked a local car audio install guy if he had any used speakers amps. ebay works well too.

1- Reference 6030cs - Infinity
1- Kenwood - KAC-8405
1- Kenwood - KAC-7205
1- Clarion MAX385VD 6.5 in. Car DVD Player - Car DVD Players - Product Reviews and Prices - Shopping.com
2- TS-SW2501S4 - 10" Shallow-Mount Subwoofer with 1200 Watts Max. Power | Pioneer of Canada - English