Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Help With Amplifier Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Beginning Member
NCRD1331 is on a distinguished road
Default Help With Amplifier Installation

As of now, I have a relatively cheap amp that has been laying around collecting dust and finally got an installation kit and plan on working on this over the weekend. I have subwoofers for use and plenty of speakers and such, I'm personally not worried about this.

What I have an issue with and have questions about is using the "high end input" harness that is with the amplifier. I don't want to use an aftermarket head-unit (I'm on a budget, so using these components I already have is key). I'm not worried about their reliability, or their durability (at this point, they've sat so long, I just want to get use from them).

I can get the power line and ground wire to the amp.

Using the High Level Input, I'd like to know:

1. Do I wire purely into rear speaker wire? Can I splice/piggyback off of these wires?

2. Should I just bypass the rear speakers and wire in others from the amp out back?

3. Is there any sort of diagram of how I can wire this up?

4. Do I need the remote turn on lead wired in? I'm pretty sure there is a power switch on the amp, or could I wire in a switch on the power cable too?

Thanks in advance for any help on this, I've been searching far too long with far too little results on the topic

Old 05-02-2013, 11:38 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

if you are just wiring for subs, piggyback onto rear speakers. you will need the remote wired in, i suggest a switch on the dash for it (goes to positive to turn on)

Old 05-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks a ton for the quick response!
Do you know if its just positive to positive/negative to negative or any other specific way it should be wired into it?

Also, do you think the "remote turn on" needs to go to the H/U or is this same idea satisfied through putting a switch on the power cable?

Old 05-02-2013, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by NCRD1331
Thanks a ton for the quick response!
Do you know if its just positive to positive/negative to negative or any other specific way it should be wired into it?
pos to pos, neg to neg

Also, do you think the "remote turn on" needs to go to the H/U or is this same idea satisfied through putting a switch on the power cable?

I would wire the power and ground directly then wire the remote lead to a switch that feed is connected to the accessory circuit that the radio is on so that when the switch is on and the key is on the remote lead sees 12v.
wish i had access to my home computer i'd make a crude drawing

Old 05-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Beginning Member

Say theres the 5 leads from the high end input harness

would I go like
gray to pos, gray/blk to neg on one side
white to pos, white/blk to neg
ground to ????

or something different?

Old 05-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Beginning Member

OH, sorry, didn't see the part on Accessory wire, i can understand that. That should already be out of the radio back? and "switch" it so I can choose to not power the amp at all?

Old 05-02-2013, 12:37 PM

Say theres the 5 leads from the high end input harness

would I go like
gray to pos, gray/blk to neg on one side
white to pos, white/blk to neg
ground to ????

or something different?

if it's just a 2 channel amp it should have 4 leads to the input, left + & -, and right + & -

without knowing model number and inputs to amp hard to say

Old 05-02-2013, 12:38 PM

OH, sorry, didn't see the part on Accessory wire, i can understand that. That should already be out of the radio back? and "switch" it so I can choose to not power the amp at all?

you can use the wire at the back of the radio or try to find another wire elsewhere. yes, switch it so you can choose to have it on or off.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:23 AM
Beginning Member

There is a fifth lead on the high-in for a ground. Do I ABSOLUTELY need to wire this to the radio ground wire or can it just mount up on bare metal too?

Is there another wire I could tap other than the (yellow?) accessory wire for remote turn on? I saw people having issues with the PCM or would that not apply off the radio?

Last edited by NCRD1331; 05-06-2013 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Another Question.. Sorry!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:24 AM

model number for amp? 2 channel or 4 channel?

the remote wire should connect to the dark green wire behind the radio (should be switched +12v)

Quick Reply: Help With Amplifier Installation