Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Holes in firewall

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 03:57 PM
jstein is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holes in firewall

Hi everyone,

I am looking to run 4 gauge wire from my battery to the rear of my blazer. I will be running 2 wires ; one for positive and the other for ground. Both of these will be hooked into an amp. Can anyone tell me if they have had any luck locating holes in the firewall where I could pass these through? These are pretty thick wires and I was hoping to not drill anything if I don't have to.

Thanks

Old 06-20-2009, 03:59 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

im not sure what year blazer you have, but im pretty sure the 2nd gens(95+) dont have any holes in the firewall for such projects.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:48 PM

Sorry, 2002

Old 06-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Starting Member
blazeitupdrgonzo is on a distinguished road

Hey man i looked high and low on both sides of my 04 Blaze and i didnt find any holes, i ended up drilling a hole for my power cable. FYI the shorter the ground cable going to the amp the better, there are some good ground points where the rear seat bolts to the blazer. Peace and good luck.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:35 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

first of all - SEARCH button is your friend. Second, why in the world would you want to ground your amp to the battery? You want as short as a ground as possible (least resistance the better).

Old 06-21-2009, 03:32 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

There is a hole in the passenger-side floor board. If you pull the kickpanel out of the way and lift up the carpet and foam, you'll see the whole.

One thing mentioned in another thread I saw was to make sure your wire(s) don't run along the AC condenser otherwise the dripping water will run along the wires and into your truck. I had noticed that underneath the passenger side floor mat, it was always wet and I never knew why until I saw that comment one time.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:34 AM
Beginning Member
pnice74 is on a distinguished road

There is also a gromet <~~? or how ever you spell it on the drivers side behind the brake pedal. I just pulled the rubber out and shoved my power wire through. I agree with Bob. Do not run your ground all the way to the battery. You'll end up with crazy engine rev in your speakers. Short and Fat ground wires is the way to go.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:12 AM

I understand what everyone is saying about the negatives of running a long wire for ground. My thoughts behind this was to get a "true" dedicated ground for the amp. I have a thought however: has anyone here successfully connected their ground to the back seat bolts? These I would imagine are bolted into some serious steel thus providing a solid connection for a ground.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Beginning Member
pnice74 is on a distinguished road

I grounded my amps to the tie downs on the floor of the bed. I just scuffed up everything. The bottom of the tie down, the top. Got that black paint/coating off to reveal the "bare" metal.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:19 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jstein
has anyone here successfully connected their ground to the back seat bolts?
still havent searched eh?

Quick Reply: Holes in firewall