Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

How do you set gains on amps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Starting Member
96jimmyslt4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default How do you set gains on amps?

I have an rf p500-2 for subs and an rf 4080dsm for 2-ways.

The 4080 also has treble *****.

The p500-2 has a bass boost.

How should I set them?

Turn the gains all the way down, then turn the volume all the way up, and turn it up till it distorts, then turn it down slightly?

What about if I take all the bass out of the EQ on the head unit to make the 2-ways sound more clear?

Also: what does the sub plus or minus function do on the head unit? Is it just like the bass boost on the sub amp?

Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 AM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

gains (its a sticky) - https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-...gain-dmm-8991/

keep your bass boost and treble low. you can always tweak them later, but for now keep them low. basically you have to trust your ears and dont let your mind ignore them. If you hear distortion, something isnt set right.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by bobditts
gains (its a sticky) - https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-...gain-dmm-8991/

keep your bass boost and treble low. you can always tweak them later, but for now keep them low. basically you have to trust your ears and dont let your mind ignore them. If you hear distortion, something isnt set right.
Alright thanks, I was tired last night, I will look at that thread.

I am pretty good at picking up on distortion with my ears.

Right now I have the dash 40w 4x6"s with the gain all the way off, and the doors 50w 6.5"s on about half to compensate (I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows that the dash reflect right onto you from the windshield)

I'm assuming the treble isn't as sensitive as the bass boost is on the sub amp? Because I can put it rather high with no distortion, compared to the bass boost on the sub amp.

Right now I have the sub amp with no bass boost and the gain at half with the head unit +6 for subwoofer (max).

Tested the unit at max volume on several songs (with boosted bass) and no clipping/distortion and no amp protection.

I guess I already mentioned that, but I just got up and was wondering if anyone had any input on it.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Beginning Member
dextermoped is on a distinguished road

I can guarantee you if you have the head unit on the highest setting your clipping the signal before it gets to the amp. Turn that head unit down and go at the sub amp's gain. If you don't wanna set the gain with a DMM put your head unit at 3/4 max volume you listen to and set the gains from there.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by dextermoped
I can guarantee you if you have the head unit on the highest setting your clipping the signal before it gets to the amp. Turn that head unit down and go at the sub amp's gain. If you don't wanna set the gain with a DMM put your head unit at 3/4 max volume you listen to and set the gains from there.
I don't agree. I play it on the max volume all the time with no distortion.

2-ways and subs both fine. It depends on the rest of the settings.

Keep in mind this is from the 3.5mm input. If it was a cd, yes, would be clipping for sure.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:51 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

3/4 volume is a must IMO. Very few HU's can get to full volume and not have a clipped signal. If they're available on the amp or HU I would also suggest turning on the HPF (high pass filter) and setting it to ~100hz for the 4x6's and ~60hz to the 6.5's. This will keep bass frequencies off those speakers that have a hard time playing them anyway, greatly reduce distortion and the chance of sending them up in smoke. Set the LPF (low pass filter) on the sub amp to ~60hz, this will help the subs blend in with the 6.5's. At that point you're ready to set the gains. Setting by ear will be just fine, set the 6.5's first. Bring the 4x6's up to the point they're blending, then do the same with the sub. Doing things in this order should net the overall loudest and best sounding results IMO.

Just my .02

Old 04-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
3/4 volume is a must IMO. Very few HU's can get to full volume and not have a clipped signal. If they're available on the amp or HU I would also suggest turning on the HPF (high pass filter) and setting it to ~100hz for the 4x6's and ~60hz to the 6.5's. This will keep bass frequencies off those speakers that have a hard time playing them anyway, greatly reduce distortion and the chance of sending them up in smoke. Set the LPF (low pass filter) on the sub amp to ~60hz, this will help the subs blend in with the 6.5's. At that point you're ready to set the gains. Setting by ear will be just fine, set the 6.5's first. Bring the 4x6's up to the point they're blending, then do the same with the sub. Doing things in this order should net the overall loudest and best sounding results IMO.

Just my .02
Well this head unit does. At least with aux input (3.5mm)

With cd's, again, YES! it will distort. Maybe everyone is thinking I'm using CD"s? I only use the 3.5mm to my phone, which is also maxed out.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:28 AM

That's fine for you, but you're not considering how much the differences between different equipment and different source material effect the output while giving recommendations and advice. Another problem it can create is that if your HU is maxed out and you play something that has a lower recording level to it than the source material you set your gains with, you'll never get it as loud as the reference. At 3/4 volume, you can set the gains without worry of distortion, and on anything that's recorded at a lower level, you still have a few clicks on the **** to get it up to the same output as other material. NOT ALL music is recorded at the same level, nor does all music have the same dynamics. That's why a person should leave room for adjustment and have headroom available for peaks. Another reason is that it helps keep induced noise down as well. Ever turn a stereo up with no music playing and hear static, clicks or other weird noises? Keeping things down from maxed out helps to keep that noise from being as evident as well. These are just a couple of things to consider when making those kinds of adjustments and matching equipment together.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
That's fine for you, but you're not considering how much the differences between different equipment and different source material effect the output while giving recommendations and advice. Another problem it can create is that if your HU is maxed out and you play something that has a lower recording level to it than the source material you set your gains with, you'll never get it as loud as the reference. At 3/4 volume, you can set the gains without worry of distortion, and on anything that's recorded at a lower level, you still have a few clicks on the **** to get it up to the same output as other material. NOT ALL music is recorded at the same level, nor does all music have the same dynamics. That's why a person should leave room for adjustment and have headroom available for peaks. Another reason is that it helps keep induced noise down as well. Ever turn a stereo up with no music playing and hear static, clicks or other weird noises? Keeping things down from maxed out helps to keep that noise from being as evident as well. These are just a couple of things to consider when making those kinds of adjustments and matching equipment together.
Those are some good points.

But when I run the system at full tilt, all the song I play are high quality and/or have been edited with audacity for bass boost.

I prefer tuning it with the volume maxed, to ensure that nothing will ever go louder than that. I can just keep it maxed out and know that it's never going to distort.

I do hear more static at higher volumes, but that is easily masked when the music plays.

And this unit is apparently known for it's static, even after grounding the RCA's.

I just find it much easier to set gains at max volume with 3.5mm input, since that's what I use 95% of the time, and it ensures care-free playback.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:46 AM

Yep, that's just a difference in tastes there. Personally I like having the room and headroom available. I just purchased a set of 3-way components and I'll be powering them at about 200wrms higher than they're rated. I'm used to listening for distortion and stress and responsible enough to back the volume back down when needed as things change from one song to the next. That's not everyone's cup of tea, for sure.

Quick Reply: How do you set gains on amps?