Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

How the heck...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 04:46 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about
Default How the heck...

Okay, so I got the wire and all the connections for the big 3 today in the mail.
So I go outside all ready to do this, and look at the back of the alt on my 93 jimmy. Instead of there being bolts for the positive and ground, there are electrical connectors. So that brings me to wonder, How the heck am I supposed to do the big 3 now?

I searched the forum already and could not find an answer for this one.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:12 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Whoa....wait.....wtf?

You dont have a red wire running from your battery to the back on a bolt on the alternator? thats strange...Sure its not just a red cap? get a pic.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:39 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

There is a red wire running from the bat to the alt, it runs through a wire loom around the back of the engine, and once it gets to the alt, there are 2 electrical plugs, one for the positive, and one for the ground. You are as confused as I am LOL!

I mean, am only running 300rms for the sub, but still. EVERYTHING in this truck is electric, including the dash. I really want to do the big 3, but the way its looking now, its not looking likely.

I will get photos of this tomorrow, its getting dark outside.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Should be a small stud on there which is 12v +. There shouldn't be a ground stud on the stock alt. You can run the batt + to alt + to that stud. Then grounds to the block, maybe even an alt mounting bolt, and your frame.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:26 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason
Should be a small stud on there which is 12v +. There shouldn't be a ground stud on the stock alt. You can run the batt + to alt + to that stud. Then grounds to the block, maybe even an alt mounting bolt, and your frame.
I did a little more digging and the alt + has a stud, but the ground is an actually electrical connection, I have not taken that off yet however, but i know for sure I can do the bat ground, and the alt + to the bat.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:59 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

there you go. Just do batt to alt,then another ground from the battery to the frame. If its like my blazer,look at the frame behind the battery below it. you should see a bolt holding down the ???? (can remember to save my life right now) but i used that bolt. lol

Old 09-09-2012, 09:02 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by chris015
there you go. Just do batt to alt,then another ground from the battery to the frame. If its like my blazer,look at the frame behind the battery below it. you should see a bolt holding down the ???? (can remember to save my life right now) but i used that bolt. lol
Thanks, I attempted to follow that wire down to the frame, looks like it went to where you were talking. but by that time, i had a few drinks under my belt. Installing a sub when its dark was interesting, thats for sure. pretty sure I did wake up my neighbors though

When I do the BIG 2, I unhook both positive and ground on the batt, then which order should I do them? or does it not matter? I do not want to fry anything hooking something up in the wrong order

Old 09-09-2012, 10:10 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Batt terminal is what goes to the battery postive. Cs130 is case grounded so any mounting point can be used for ground.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:58 AM
BF Veteran

wooohooo, so I can just leave that connector hooked up, and just get a bolt that fits in a empty hole on the alt, awesome, thanks!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:08 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by richphotos
Thanks, I attempted to follow that wire down to the frame, looks like it went to where you were talking. but by that time, i had a few drinks under my belt. Installing a sub when its dark was interesting, thats for sure. pretty sure I did wake up my neighbors though

When I do the BIG 2, I unhook both positive and ground on the batt, then which order should I do them? or does it not matter? I do not want to fry anything hooking something up in the wrong order
I got smashed once while doing the waterpump on my old blazer. Man...that was interesting..

Go to autozone and look over there at the little bit of audio stuff they have. They will have a ring terminal for up to like 2 gauge wire that has a set nut. That way you can slide the copper in it,tighten the nut,then bolt the terminal to the alternator. I did it on mine that way. No issues on that part. Order doesnt really matter,Id do ground first though that way nothing hot will be powered while you do the ground.

Quick Reply: How the heck...