Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

How-to: HID Plug & Play install & DRL disable

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 04:43 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default How-to: HID Plug & Play install & DRL disable

How-to: HID Plug & Play install

[hr]

To install your new HID plug and play kit, you will need the following materials:
[ul][*]The kit (complete with wiring, ballasts, ballast mounts, andbulbs.)[*]Drill and zip-in screws[*]Double sided tape (may be included in some kits)[*]Pliers[/ul]

Your kit should look something like this:

First, when installing in high beams, you must disable your DRLs. To do this and keep your automatic function, read the following:

Go to the fuses located under the hood (black box next to air box.) Open it and find the relay labled DRL.

On the bottom of the relay you will see 5 prongs with the numbers 30, 85, 86, 87 and 87a. Use your pliers and bend the prong numbered 86 up toward the top of the relay.

This will prevent that prong from engaging and will deactivate the DRL's. Replace the realay and put cover back on.

[hr]

Pull off your grille. Just open the hood and give it a good pull by the handholds on the bottom of the crossbar. Pull out the parkinglights and fog lights (if equipped) to full disconnect the grille.

Locate your ballast mounts. They will look similar to this depending on the kit:

I chose to mount mine on the radiator scoop. The radiator scoop will pull air from above the license plate mount. This scoop will vary in shape depending on your model. Mounting it here will provide the ballasts with adequate airflow to keep them cool. You may mount them anywhere, its up to you.

Next, you will have to remove the headlights. To do this, locate the tabs on the back of the radiator support.

Pull out the tabs, you may have to use pliers, as they are sometimestight.

Once you've remove the headlamp from the radiator support, twist the bulb and pull it out.

Undo the bulb from the wiring.

Connect the female end of the harness to wiring on the vehicle.

Insert the bulb in the headlamp assembly. Be careful NOT to touch the bulb. Fingerprints may weaken the ability of the glass to release heat and cause premature failure.

Run the male end of the wiring harness through the hole in the divider flap between the radiator and the headlights. Pull it all the way through.

Connect the male end of the wiring to the ballast.
[IMG]http://i2

Old 02-25-2008, 04:54 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future
Default RE: How-to: HID Plug & Play install & DRL disable

this deserves a sticky

Old 02-25-2008, 07:36 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

That method of DRL disable is good for 98+ as long as the highbeams are the DRL's...

Quadbeam mod will mess things up a bit, and give you low beam DRL's.

I'd recommend quad beam to anyone with HID's so you don't have a period of darkness when switching between highs and lows

Great work!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:39 PM
cloak01ls is an unknown quantity at this point

Great writeup Brent, might be worth a sticky with some night shots

Old 02-25-2008, 07:42 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Also might want to mention to remove the turn signal lamp housings before ripping off the front grille. Otherwise looks great, thanks for the write-up.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:38 PM
BF Veteran

I promised a good writeup!!! I'll add a few more details to the post above and add a demo of how to remove the grille. Heres some pics of sunset:

Old 02-26-2008, 04:20 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Don't forget the night shots and road shots

Old 02-26-2008, 06:09 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Similar to how I installed mine except I added a relay kit for added protection.. Nice job and great write up.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:21 AM
BF Veteran

I'd reccomend a relay for the HID's in the high beams, as well...

They're rated for the same as the lows... 10 amp fuses, if I remember right.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:27 AM
BF Veteran

Tell me how to install the relay and I'll do that as well. I thought my kit was supposed to come with a relay, but then I tooka look at the description.

Quick Reply: How-to: HID Plug & Play install & DRL disable