Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

How often does your fuse go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Jisher is on a distinguished road
Default How often does your fuse go?

Ive had subs for a couple of months. Today my amp turned off so i pulled over and popped my hood. My fuse went on the cord going to my amp. Should i be worried im pushing them too hard? or was it just bad luck?

Old 05-08-2010, 10:43 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Give me some more info.
What size power wire to amp and ground wire on the amp?
What amp are you running, what load is the amp seeing, does the amp have fuses or does it use the inline fuse that blew on ya? I might be able to tell you why it blew and if you should use a higher fuse based on some more info.

I have never had a power wire fuse blow. The wiring in my moms car is from 02-03 and it's never blew, still going strong. My first car was wired for 3 years and never blew, the blazer for a little over 2 years and no problems.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:06 PM

Update: Changed the fuse and it blew when my car turned on. Replaced it again (good thing i bought extras) and turned the car on with my headunit off. When i turned it on my lights dimmed and fuse went.

So the amp is faulty. Emailed them hoping to get a replacement soon.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:21 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

Well if you give us, Screwed and myself, more information as to what equipment you have we can help you stop buying more fuses. I'm going to assume you're running the Hifonics Brutus 1600 amp which is asking for 4 gauge wiring if i remember correctly, and then i'll guess a 60 amp fuse, am i right?

Old 05-09-2010, 12:05 AM

Are you following me MT? Seems like I'll post in a thread, go to the bathroom, and BAM there you are. lol! Shake and Bake! ha ha! But would'nt a 60 amp fuse be small for a amp like that? The Hifonics BXI-1610 1600 watt amp has two 70 amp fuses...

I don't know that the amp is bad, why would it just keep blowing fuses after monthes of good use? Did the amp make any high pitched noises when the bass hit at high volumes? Could it be a bad connection at the battery or ground somewhere? Somethin doesn't seem right....

Old 05-09-2010, 12:13 AM
BF Veteran

Screwed, this is the main place i can help out the most with. so, you will always find me lurking haha.

I'm just assuming its a 60 because thats what comes standard with most 4 gauge kits. I'm thinking that its shorting somewhere in the system. but, there isn't much help coming from Jisher on this one so

Old 05-09-2010, 12:18 AM

Shoulda been more clear, i forgot the amp has fuses too. The power cord that runs from the battery has fuse on it that keeps blowing. Its a single 100 amp fuse.
BXi16100 Brutus. Forget what gauge im running for ground and power but i remember seeing it was rated to take 2000 watts so i should be fine.

Last edited by Jisher; 05-09-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:26 AM
BF Veteran

Ok, well like i said, check all your connections like your grounds and every inch of your wiring that you can see. If that all looks good, then it could be your amp.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:30 AM

The manual has a trouble shooting guide in the back. It says if the fuse continuously blows without playing music your amp may be faulty.

Last edited by Jisher; 05-09-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:37 AM

If your power wire has the fuse holder that screws onto the wire, make sure that those screws are tight and not loose. I've experinced that on some peoples car. The fuse holder its self moving some and causing arching and shorting. But sounds like a ground somewhere if its making your lights dim... Wait.

How did you run your power wire? Through the fire wall, under the vehicle, through the door jamb? If there is a pinch in your power wire and bare wire is showing and touching metal that would cause a situation like your having.

Oh ok well if it's under warrenty still I guess you could send it in and see if a connection or something came loose. Do you have anybody that would let you put there amp on your wiring, or your amp on thiers?

Last edited by ImScrewed92; 05-09-2010 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Posted at same time

Quick Reply: How often does your fuse go?