Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

How powerful of an amp do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 03:39 AM
audiophilia is on a distinguished road
Default How powerful of an amp do I need?

OK. I know which subwoofer I want, it's this guy: Polk Audio 12" DualVoiceCoil 4Ohm Subwoofer DXI1240DVC - Best Buy
but I am not sure what I need amp-wise so I don't blow up as I'm driving down the road. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by audiophilia; 07-02-2013 at 04:11 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:56 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Well, considering your mind is made up on the sub and you're getting it from Best Buy I'll recommend a few amps from the same place.

Alpine MRV-M500

Kicker 12CX3001

Pioneer GM-D8601

They're all priced and rated about the same ($199 and 500wrms @ 2 ohms) which just might be a tad over the sub's rated power (360wrms) but it should be just fine on it plus the overhead will help with distortion and output.

The most important thing to consider isn't the amp you're going to power it with but the enclosure you're planning to put it in. While the Polk doesn't need anything fancy (.88cuft NET sealed enclosure is optimal) you should still be sure it's in a good enclosure that it well sealed AND certain it's the right size.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:04 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

yep,The box is extremely important when it comes to sound quality. Dont buy a random cheap box. At least if you do make sure its close to the cu/ft the sub requires. Also, look online about setting your gain (power output) using a cheap multimeter. That way you keep the amp set at the power capability the sub requires.

edit : And please,dont use orange extension cord for the power wires etc. I see so much of this at the local junkyards. lol. Pick you up at least some 4 gauge power wire.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Steve-o will become famous soon enough

listen to Alton. he designed my box and my system sounds 10x better by building a new box, which he designed.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:09 PM

Hey! sorry I never got a chance to respond to these answers, I left wednesday for a camping trip and was without wifi and 3G until now. It was quite wonderful actually. But anyway, before I got home I stopped by Best Buy and bought the sub and an enclosure for a little over $100 and then went to Walmart out of curiosity and actually found a 400 watt Dual amp for $55. Hooked everything up first thing after I unpacked and drove around for an hour. Sounds great! And about the power cable, I used 8 gauge cable with insulation rated up to 300 degrees celsius, so hopefully that's good! thanks for the help guys!

Old 07-05-2013, 11:13 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I die a little inside anytime I hear the name brand Dual.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:37 PM
247monster will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Thogert
I die a little inside anytime I hear the name brand Dual.
haha that made me laugh out loud lol

Dual ...you get what you pay for....

Old 07-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Steve-o will become famous soon enough

what thog said ^

Old 07-06-2013, 07:56 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

:facepalm:

That 400 watt amp is probably only giving the sub about 100 maybe even 200 watts if you're really lucky. The rating you see on the box in "peak" watts means absolutely jack ****. The RMS wattage rating is the rating that a person should go by and on cheap brands like the Dual they're often still over rated.

I listed the Alpine, Kicker, and Pioneer amps because their ratings are at least accurate. You didn't have to spend $200 to get a good amp but $55 isn't buying you much. As mentioned before, you get what you pay for.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:55 PM

Hahaha well I was doing this all on a budget and so far so good. Will giving the sub less power than the amp says it does be bad for the sub? If so then I'll get one of the ones that were mentioned at Best Buy above, but if not then I'll keep the set up the same because to my ears (and I'm a paid sound technician) it sounds great. Thanks!

Quick Reply: How powerful of an amp do I need?