Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

installed 4 new speakers and cd player and sounds like nothing

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Starting Member
98Ltblazer is on a distinguished road
Default installed 4 new speakers and cd player and sounds like nothing

i installed my new cd player and new speakers tonight and although my head unit sticks out about a inch its fine .. as for the sound of the speakers i put 4 speakers in and its not bassy enough . actually its not bassy at all ..

basically do i need a subwoofer or a amp?
http://www.amazon.com/Boss-BASS600-L...d_bxgy_e_img_b

thats the subwoofer

Old 10-12-2010, 10:29 PM
zerepdivad is on a distinguished road

Did you use harness adapters for the speakers? If not are you certain you got the polarity correct on all of them?

Old 10-12-2010, 11:01 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Bassy? Was it bassy before? Depending on the speaker sizes you used, you will be limited

Old 10-12-2010, 11:03 PM

YOur head unit also shouldn't stick out at all.....

Old 10-12-2010, 11:55 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by zerepdivad
YOur head unit also shouldn't stick out at all.....
mine does. the mounting kit I got from walmart(i'm impatient and cheap) makes the deck stick out from the dash, it's too universal of a kit to allow it to sit flush(other vehicles that mount similar don't have enough room behind the deck to mount flush)

Old 10-13-2010, 12:11 AM

yeah i know a lot of cars appear like they won't fit flush but you usually just need to cut away some plastic behind the dash because the stock decks are a bit shorter in length. (on gms at least) I do this for a living and there are VERY few that i can't make sit flush. usually takes a little bit of cutting.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Starting Member
98Ltblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 69chevelle
mine does. the mounting kit I got from walmart(i'm impatient and cheap) makes the deck stick out from the dash, it's too universal of a kit to allow it to sit flush(other vehicles that mount similar don't have enough room behind the deck to mount flush)
yeah i think we have the same mounting kit , it was 11 dollars got the job done ... ill post some pics up tomoro around 4

And the truck with the old.head.unit was bassy I had my control with the old.hu but if I raised the bass the speakers would knock and sound.like ****.. now with the new hu if I crank the.bass up to 7.. its max setting it sounds like a normal car with bas set to 1 maybe 2 .. I don't like it , yes it.sounds.clear which I like but with rock music my main genre of music I expected a harder knock , which is why I want a subwoofer like the one.I listed.above but I think ill wait , moneys been tight.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:47 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

I would recommend you absolutely verify the polarity is correct on the speakers. Move the fader forward and back to see if you hear a difference in the bass response, then move back and forth from left to right. If you hear the bass come and go as you move everything around then you have a speaker or two out of phase somewhere. Other than that, it could be that the speakers are just not designed to reproduce bass frequencies well at all. What kind of speakers did you get? Did you mount them the same as the factory ones or did you give them a good base, such as a MDF baffle to mount to? Also have you used some sound deadener and possibly sealed the doors?

Lots of questions I know, but it should help get to the problem and maybe give you some ideas for improving the response as it is. A sub wouldn't be out of the question, and I would recommend it if you like your music to sound full and authoritative.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

question... why has no one asked what head unit or speakers this guy has?

sir what head unit did you buy and what speakers did you buy? i bought my girlfriend a $100 JVC one time because she liked that you could switch the color to pink. well before that she had a sony (w/ aftermarket speakers) sounded great, the 6x9's boomed pretty well. after i installed the JVC the speakers sounded horrible, i took back the JVC and got it replaced just in case the built in amp had something wrong with it. the second one still sounded bad so i put the sony back in and it sounded fine. sometimes its just the cd player, it can make a world of difference.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:35 PM
marcial90 is on a distinguished road

in order for my head unit not to stick out i have to cut some plastic in the back, by doing so will i damage anything behind the plastic like where the ac air comes through the vents or will nothing change?

Quick Reply: installed 4 new speakers and cd player and sounds like nothing