Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

L7 Kickers

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Jisher is on a distinguished road
Default L7 Kickers

Just bought dual 10'' L7 kickers that should be in by tomorrow. Got a hifonics brutus 1600w amp along with them. Had to get a cheaper aftermarket headunit also so all of this ended up costing a bit over 700. Hopefully by friday ill have pics and a video up.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Starting Member
speterson1011 is an unknown quantity at this point

That awesome your going to love the sound of them bad boys. I always buy kicker now, you give them enough power they will slam, cant wait to see pics

Old 02-17-2010, 11:30 PM

i do have a question about gains. I plan to install them myself. How do i set my gains? Ive seen guides how to but they all say to use some sort of a meter. Is there anyway i can set them to be at a good level without this?

Thanks

Old 02-18-2010, 11:07 PM

Well christmas came super early this year

I was planning to put in the headunit myself but i was talking to a installer at bestbuy and he said he would do it for 40 bucks so i figured why not let a professional who knows what hes doing put it in.

Well after he was finished i checked it out and everything looked good. Paid and left happy. Driving home i heard a rattling and couldnt figure out what it was. Then half of the dashboard popped out.

When i got home i tried to get everything back in place but the guy bent all my clips back like an animal. Im thankful that the clips didnt break when i bent them back. Also figured out he didnt put the bolt back in over the steering wheel. Real nice guy with a lot of info about audio but didnt like his work at all.

I still have some questions about the subs.
1. When i hook them into the headunit do i use the back speaker outlet?
2. If i do then do i lose my back 2 speakers?

And when i wired them i just did positive to positive and neg to neg on both subs. There are another set of pos and neg on each subs. Do i do anything with those?

Thanks a lot in advance and hopefully i will have videos and more pics tomorrow if everything goes well.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Starting Member
RebelJimmy96 is on a distinguished road

you hook the pos to the pos on one sub and neg to the neg on one sub
do the same for the other sub then have one pos and neg run from each sub to the termanle cup like this link http://www.flickr.com/photos/47680277@N02/4369962750/

Last edited by RebelJimmy96; 02-19-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:46 AM
Beginning Member
89K5gasahollica is on a distinguished road
Default patience daniel son

hmmm where to start...well ill start by saying stop.lol.you got nice equipment and its easier than you think to go from.. COOL check it out the mirrors are shaking, to...dear BlazerForum, i caught my dashboard on fire,are subwoofers supposed to smoke? a lil research goes along way bro.brutus amps are 4,2 and 1 ohm stable.your subs are dual voice coil,and are either 2 or 4 ohms.major difference between the two when it comes to amp impedance/power load.brutus series is D class mono...they have 2 + terminals and 2 - terminals in a parrallel connection configuration.you want your subs in parrallel meaning ALL voice coil + run together and ALL - voice coils run together,then the subs + wires are ran together as well as the - wires into the amp.two 4 ohm dual voice coil subs ran parrallel have a final impedance load of 1 ohm, wich is ideal for your brutus giving the maxx 1600wx1 output.i assume you meant the brutus 1610d,its a nice amp and im glad i have mine. if that just blew your mind you ought go read up a lil and give thanks it wasnt your subs that blew man.and p.s. hook subs and amp to head unit with rca's.good luck man! i cant help but picture a dude elbow deep in dashboard,flinching everytime he connects a wire as if he expects to be shocked lol.lord have mercy on your hifonics...tonight it dines in hell 8)

Old 02-19-2010, 12:45 PM

Stupid internet, ignore this double post

Last edited by Jisher; 02-19-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:49 PM

Both subs are 4 ohms. If i need to run them in parralell, do i have to drill a hole in my sub box connecting my chambers? Because right now they there is no way to wire 2 chambers together. If im right i should only have to use one side of the wire outs on the side of the sub box right?

Old 02-19-2010, 01:17 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

ok you have a sealed box....there should be 2 quick release connections on the back of the box...one for each sub. do your wiring back there...no drilling necessary. You need to invest in a Digital Multimeter. You can pick on up for cheap at sears.

Step 1: Wiring Subs
Take you subs and run speaker wire from the + on one voice coil to the + on the other voice coil. Repeat this step with the - terminals.(this will bring your woofers down to 2ohms) Next, run a speaker wire from the + on one coil to the - on the other coil to the corresponding connection on the back of the box. Do the same with the other subs and then mount them....At this point you shouldn't see any wires on the outside.
Next we will get ur subs wired down to 1ohm. What you want to do is connect the + and - terminals on the back of the box together (this will drop your subs down to 1 ohm). At this point your subs are wired and ready to be installed. Run a speaker wire from the + on one terminal and the - on the other terminal. These will go to your amp

Step 2: Wiring Amp
Here you need to get your power, ground, remote, and RCAs ran. Judging from you picture it doesnt look like you bought an amp kit. You need one of these to wire the amp in. A 4 ga kit should work fine.
Once you get the amp kit follow these steps...Run Power wire (Red) from the back of your truck to under the hood by the battery. (fuse goes under the hood) DO NOT CONNECT YET!! Find a suitable mounting spot for your amp (probably either on the box or the back seat will work fine) and mount it. Easiest place I found to ground is to a seatbelt bolt. Ground your amp but make sure any paint is cleared away and your down to bare metal.
Next you need to run your RCA's and remote wire. Run these under the carpet up to the back of the headunit. If your HU has a Sub Out connection plug the RCAs into them. If not just plug them into the rear output. (this wont effect your rear speakers) The remote wire is blue and should be labled on the back of the headunit in the wiring harness. Go ahead and connect all this the the back of the HU and the amp. After your ground, RCAs, and remote are connected you can then connect the power to the amp. But leave it disconnected under the hood until you check all your connections. Once everything looks good go ahead and connect the wire to the fuse holder and then to the battery.

Setting Gains:
I would just turn them between 1/4 and 1/2 way since you dont have a meter yet. Once you get a meter I can direct you to a link on how to set your gains by output voltage. My recommendation is to not touch the bass boost. You can do all your adjustments from the headunit.

My advice, dont go to best buy to have them install anything lol. From my experiences and things ive heard a lot (not all) of the installers do stuff half assed. Let me know if you have any other questions

Old 02-19-2010, 03:25 PM

could someone draw a quick picture in paint or something simple to make sure i have this correct before i get it in the car and power it up?

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...4-ohm_mono.jpg

This is what i have in my head. If this is correct do i only use one - and one + on the amp?

Last edited by Jisher; 02-19-2010 at 03:27 PM.