Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Looking for some new subs

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 01:42 AM
m3ch is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for some new subs

The title says it all, i have a few in mind but im not really sure about them

Fi-Q
Sundown Audio
Vibe Audio
JL Audio
or maybe even some Pioneers

so, next question, has any one had any experience with any of them? what would be best for a budget(not sure on the budget yet)

*oops my bad i keep missing the Audio and video part*

Last edited by m3ch; 01-26-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Starting Member
99bblazer99 is on a distinguished road

Pioneers would be the good if your on a budget. the champion series arer actually pretty good. If you got the money go with JL Audio. My first setup was 2 jl w4d4 15s and they hit pretty damn hard for only being 300w peak subs. and they where clean as hell to. Vibes cheap stuff is made cheap but there more expensive stuff aint all that bad. Im not fimilar with fi. sundown is a pretty beastly company. My friend has 2 12s and get some pretty good flex. But pioneer would be the way to go if your on a budget or even look at some kicker stuff the have there cvrs buy one get one free on sonicelectronix.com

Old 01-26-2012, 05:21 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

A little more information would be handy to really give a complete answer. Such as do you have an amp yet? If so how much power does it make? If not, how much of the budget are you willing to spend on the amp and if you're looking at any kind of serious power (roughly 1200 watts or more) are you going to spend the money on the electrical modifications to support that much power?

Figure out your answers to those questions and a better, more complete answer can be given. For now I'll say this, going with a company like Fi is never going to give you a problem. All the drivers they build are 100% built right here in the USA with USA parts. They're built by hand and covered by some of the best customer service there is out there. They also build the drivers for SSA, the DCON, ICON, XCON and ZCON series are all built here the same way as well. I run a pair of 12" Q's on a Sundown SAZ2K and they're hands down the best I've ever owned, but the Q line isn't necessarily budget friendly either. If you're on a budget and looking for a great sub(s) that aren't real expensive to buy or power then I would highly recommend Fi's X series or the SSA DCON. They give absolutely unreal output for the modest power ratings and are still seem as accurate as subs costing several times more. I recently installed a pair of 10" Fi X series subs in a friends full size chevy on a Sundown 100.2 that is bridged @ 4 ohms which is giving both subs around 400wrms. They ran his girl and her girlfriend out of the truck twice. The Fi SSD's are great performers as well and aren't too terribly expensive. Sundown's SA series subs have been proving themselves as well since they came to being. Not a bad choice either, but they're not inexpensive either considering the SA-10's are $185.

The JL's will not treat you wrong, though for the money the lower end lines such as the w0's and w1's cost you can get a fair amount more power handling from the Fi X's or SSA DCON's are priced very closely. I've never had any experience at all with Vibe so I have no comment there and Pioneer makes a good product for sure, but I've never been impressed with their ability to take abuse or last very long.

This is all just my opinion of course, so take it for what it is. IMHO you'll be hard pressed to get the performance for the money of the Fi X's or the SSA DCON's from very many other companies. Not to mention the customer service offered by them. Plus with the low power you'd need to run them amplifiers to power them are cheaper and easier on the electrical in your truck. Putting all those facts together, when you're on a budget it makes a lot of sense.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Starting Member
1998blazerLS is on a distinguished road

out of your choices, JL gives you the cleanest sound with the least amount of effort, but I'd go with sundown, theyre pretty awesome. If you told us how much youre actually looking to spend, we could help you better

Old 01-26-2012, 06:25 PM
m3ch is on a distinguished road

well in all honesty i have NO idea what my budget will be, right now im looking around to get a feel of the price and then put one together, im looking for probably around 1,000W, going to be doing "The Big 3" soon here, the only amp i have is a 1000w sony xplod im going to get rid of when i get some new subs as well, i have heard good things about Fi's and leaning that way

Old 01-26-2012, 07:34 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

If you're having a tough time with deciding what to do I would recommend this. The best way to get the most bang for your buck is to get the largest size sub you can fit. If you have room you'd be better off getting a good single 15 for example than spending money on two lesser quality 12's. You'll have less money in a single sub than you will in two in most cases. If your heart is set on multiple subs then be sure to balance your budget around the subs and amp. You'll want to get as much quality power as you can without skimping on the quality on the subs. There's some decent quality amps out there for great prices.