Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

My New build - BIG pictures

Old 07-24-2010, 05:08 AM
Starting Member
taba5 is on a distinguished road
Default My New build - BIG pictures

I mentioned MDF in a previous thread and for a few days I hunted for deals on it. I was caught in a ill dilemma, I do NOT own a circular saw and I have yet to buy one, I make do with my benchtop brand jigsaw, one of these days I will own a circular saw but for the meantime the jigsaw will do

I have built MANY enclosures for my personal pleasure and for very close friends of mine, I started to list them, but realized when I started listing them there was too many, and the lack of pictures of said enclosures does the thread no good lol.

Back to my MDF dilemma, I would like to give a kid named Andrew some props, he works at the Menards in gurnee Illinois, and must really enjoy his job lol. I managed to find a deal for MDF, 25.00 for a 4' x 8'1" sheet of 3/4inch but since the misses and the hellions were with me I had to get this cut down into 4 easy pieces, to put in the back of my trailblazer

This kid cut down this sheet with a circular saw, after him and I both measured out 4 pieces, he said that he cant guarantee dimensions, thats fine I understand that. He took his time and asked what this wood was being used for, and I happily told him it is being used to make a speaker box for 2 12's. with a smile he managed to do the cuts nearly perfect.. Props to you, I owe you a beer(when yer 21)!!! we shook hands and off I went.

and this is where it started, there is 6 sheets because I bought two 2' x 4' sheets earlier in the week, the smaller pieces are from my last build

Might I mention I highly dislike math, dimensions, converting fractions to decimals or vice versa...

for a reference we call this a house and the old enclosure a guest room, simply because of size:

Port in:

after I put a quart of Rustoleum in the enclosure, the face went on and I went in it to smooth out the adhesive on the backside of the face: props to my 7yr old daughter who snapped off this pic and then dropped my phone lol

1.5" thick woofer surface

and the exterior brace work

and this is how it sits currently

The plan was to fully paint it outside, but the way it all came out exceeding even my own expectations it deserves fabric. so, I am covering it in black felt after I drop some holes in it for woofer wire.

This so far has taken a week to do, im in no rush to finish it really, its been 100+ in my garage so a little here and there works for me.
final specs are on paper in the garage, but off the top of my head its 6.2 cubic feet after everything, and 12.07sq inches of port area per cubic foot at 33.08hz, 3 tubes of adhesive, 2lbs of 2 inch brass screws, a drill bit (i broke one) , and some liquid ambition(beer, gatorade, water) lol

and this is what it replaces:

and yes, ALL the rest of the cuts were done with a jigsaw, and the old enclosure was ALL done with a jigsaw

Last edited by taba5; 07-26-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: picture size
Old 07-24-2010, 08:16 AM
shmew22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey man, very nice enclosure... looks very beastly.... Only question would be what gear are you using? lol

Old 07-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by shmew22
Hey man, very nice enclosure... looks very beastly.... Only question would be what gear are you using? lol

ill 2nd that!

also i love the look of the old box, with the drop down between woofers.

last but not least do you have trouble with that damn tire jack compartment too? i hate it. the top never stays on... ever!

Old 07-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Starting Member

The tire jack area has been a problem ever since I decided to go with any type of sound system, it has now been completely removed, but GM did the design work in such a way where it looks kinda tacky if you remove that lower bit of paneling. So I used some polyfill and filled the gap, and dynamated the rest. When im done matting my front doors ill probably go back and redo that area, its ugly to me and it needs to be eliminated lol.

actually the gear im using is pretty low power, but optimum sized enclosures make a world in difference in sound quality and thump.

its a very big enclosure but it is to multiple woofer specs and will be a good home for new woofers in the future and is a good home for my audiobahn aw1251t's

the amp is a BXi1610d some say overrated some say underrated, i personally talked to a hifonics/maxxsonics tech and was reassured it will do what I want it to do.

The old enclosure was an awesome one, but a little on the small side, it went through a rehab process as well.
when it started life as an enclosure the sub faces and the port face were the same direction, out of boredom I decided to face the woofers up and keep the slot port... it sounded really good on 600 RMS and sounded even better at the subs rated RMS for 2 woofers at 1ohm(1200 RMS)

here are some shots of the new enclosure

laying the felt

Holes done

and in the truck, I did this by myself and it was in short a huge pain in the ****, I had help on the way but out of being impatient I man handled it in

Last edited by taba5; 07-26-2010 at 08:53 AM. Reason: picture size
Old 07-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

so sexy so sexy... ya i wanna pull that beach out of mine too. it was a good idea but not for us bass-aholics. i was thinking of building an amp rack there a couple weeks ago.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:55 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

taba5,
When posting pictures, please follow the guidelines as explained in Image Posting.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:10 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats a great looking box man. Kudos!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:22 AM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Wow that is good!!!
You should add blue neons in the bottom open part :P

Old 07-26-2010, 08:42 AM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Looks great

Old 07-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Starting Member

post(s) edited for picture size...now in thumbnail form

I thought about doing the back half of the port in silver and adding some red led's on the sides and a couple blue ones in the middle...

if anything now I can throw together a couple strips and strategically place them outside of the box.

I had the same idea to put an amp rack in/over the jack area, or at least a battery area a thin kinetic cell (or similar) would do nicely there since i have eliminated all the rest of possible room lol.

thanks for the props too, the whole enclosure exceeded my expectations as far as visual appeal, i still highly dislike math however lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My New build - BIG pictures