Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

My System (and future upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 12:24 AM
JerzeyLegend is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My System (and future upgrades)

I have a Sony Xplod CDXGT71W headunit. In the front doors are 220W Sony Xplod 2 way 6.5s. The rear are stock. A Optima Yellowtop powers the system. Stock Alt.

I have a 40?AMP fuse at the battery. Then a fuse block with two 30's? (I have to check tomorrow). The fuse goes into two 200W 2 Channel Amps. Both are different brands. I don't know the wattage on the speakers as they were a gift.

Tomorrow I will take pictures, and give specifics, and I will ask questions about stuff as well as ask opinions as I shop for things.

Just wanted my own build/upgrade thread.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:06 AM
RidnClean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: My System (and future upgrades)

are you willing to sell all that?
i would to upgrade to better SQ

or are you just looking to add some bump?
budget?

Old 10-15-2008, 09:47 AM

Well I want get some video in it, or I was thinking of adding a PC. However if I am adding a PC I was going to mod a desktop into the car instead of those ridiculously expensive car PCs. I have tons of older PCs laying around that I can install Windows XP MCE.

I wanted to get a flip out. Get a video card that allows for RCA out, or S-Video if the DVD player allows for it. Install Windows XP or Vista if the machine allows. Get a wireless keyboard with built on touchpad. Mod a USB Wireless Adapter for internet, so I can just pull up to a hotspot, and download music, check mail, or download directions. With 500GB of memory I can store all of my iTunes music and HD Movies. With LimeWire, if I hear a nice song I don't have yet, just find a hotspot and download it. If I don't have a cell phone, I can pull up to a hotspot, and use Sykpe to make a call on a USB headset, or mod a mic into the car as well. I would be so cool. I can add car diagnostics, mod a camera for backing up and cool driving videos, or even video chat.

If I don't go the PC route, I will just get a DVD player with a media server.

If I don't go the DVD route, then I will upgrade my headunit even though I think my unit sounds just fine.

I want to upgrade speakers first before I buy any electronics. I want to put Pioneer 4 ways in the doors. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...em+Description. I would put those on my 200W amps. 1 for the rear, 1 for the front. That's 100W a channel. Then for the rear subbies, I would get two 600W amps. I am not sure. I want to go to Harrisburg and visit Tweeter before I can make a decision. I am kind of tired of going to Walmart for my car audio needs.

I will replace the factory tweeters with some high quality ones. I was told Infinity makes some of the best tweeters around.

My budget for this project: $500

BTW, I am not a SQ guy. I am a SPL kind of guy.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:57 PM

what i suggest is getting some PG RSDs component set, 6.5s in doors and tweeters in the axis(just me)
they can be had to like 90shipped off EBAY

rears dont need to be used, leave them off HU power

I'd go the DVD route(just me again), not a fan of car PCs, dont feel like its enough room

sub wise: go with a single 500-1000watt amp, check out Caraudio.com/forum and search the classifieds, somethin will pop up for cheap
now for the subs, thats where i cant really help, but i suggest a Type-R or 2 for SPL wise, 1 type R can handle the 1000watts

Old 10-15-2008, 05:09 PM

Well I looked at my subs today.

Pioneer TS-W3041C
800 Watt Max
400 Watt Nom
I have 2 12"

My amps are as follows:

1.) Radion D-420MX Mosfet 200W 2 channel with mono/stereo switch

2.) VR3 200W max 2 channel

I want to use those amps on surrounds, and get 2 of these Pioneers I saw. They are rated 320W RMS, 740W max.
I think I will go the video route, one with GPS, because I travel alot.

I was thinking, if I go video, should I install the DVD player and run sound through the HU? If I go double din, then I know I can't put the stereo in the dash. Double dins are more expensive tho. They don't look all that fancy to me. However I am worried about a flip out getting worn or something. Geez man, decisions!

Old 10-18-2008, 04:47 PM

use the VR3 and sell the other

those subs should give you enough low end your wanting

you can fit double dins in your dash with work, flip outs are easier way to go
you dont need a dvd unit for either.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:45 AM
blazerbumpin is an unknown quantity at this point

dont go with sony xplode im sorry but its just not even close to top of the line and if you plan on upgrading then upgrade to pioneer or alpine for the hu and somehitng diff for the 6.5's

Old 12-28-2008, 08:41 PM
TehFattie is an unknown quantity at this point

Go Jensen for a flip out and grab the Jensen Nav101 to upgrade the touch screen to GPS. You can get the motorized screen and Nav unit together for under $500 on eBay.

Doors: Diamond Audio, if you just want SPL and aren't too worried about SQ, D3s on an amp should be fine.

Door Amp: Massive 400.4 or Diamond D1 4 channel.

Subs: For SPL one Alpine Type-X will give you plenty of bass. Stay away from Type-R speakers if you want to get loud on a budget for space and power. If you can afford one, get a QVC Massive DMX 15". If you want some SQ along with your SPL, go with the Diamond Hex Pro or the Image Dynamics IDMax 12" or 15".

Amp: For any of the above, go with the Massive P.1500 as your amp. Once the subs and amp are broken in you can run with the gain all the way up and the Bass Boost all the way up for the DMX.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:25 AM
Starting Member
FlatTopFoley has a little shameless behavior in the past

Pass on Jensen HU. I've heard horror stories about them. One of my friends was the audio supervisor at a Circuit City, told me those fold out Jensen where some of the worst stuff they sold. If you want a decent fold out, get a Pioneer Avic N4.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:42 PM
TehFattie is an unknown quantity at this point

Jensen has come up a long way in quality over the last two years, while Pioneer has dropped off. Pioneer isn't the wholesome name brand it used to be, just like Kicker, they became too overconfident in a name brand and let the product go to hell.

Quick Reply: My System (and future upgrades)