Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Navigation in a Blazer? VSS wire

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 05:27 PM
19BLAZER96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Navigation in a Blazer? VSS wire

Hey guys,

I am new on here and just picked up a 1996 blazer LT in very good condition. So working on it slowly. I just finished installing a Kenwood DDX7017 and KNA DV4100 Navigation system. I am having some problems with the VSS wire.

I actually went direct to the 24 pin connector #3 wire for the VSS, but it turns out that the reading that I am getting from that wire is not strong enough for the navigation. It's getting the speed read out but not the proper speed pulse read out so the navigation is not function correctly.

Anyone have an idea where I can get the cruise control wiring diagram to get the Vehicle Speed Sensor wire?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:50 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Navigation in a Blazer? VSS wire

I was under the impression, the navigation system gets your speed from the sattelites that tells you where you are... That's why it's a little slow to update the speeds...

Old 12-28-2007, 07:52 AM

ORIGINAL: drperry

I was under the impression, the navigation system gets your speed from the sattelites that tells you where you are... That's why it's a little slow to update the speeds...
Well technically yes the navigation does get the information from the satelite. However it requires your Vehicle Speed to determine how fast you are going to calculate turns, directions and how much time it will take you to get there.

Basically without the VSS wire the navigation can't provide you with turn by turn direction, or any sort of prompt as to where to go next.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm... Must be something different with that nav unit.. The 'stick on your windsheild' variety only requires cig lighter power.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:19 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: 19BLAZER96

ORIGINAL: drperry

Well technically yes the navigation does get the information from the satelite. However it requires your Vehicle Speed to determine how fast you are going to calculate turns, directions and how much time it will take you to get there.

Basically without the VSS wire the navigation can't provide you with turn by turn direction, or any sort of prompt as to where to go next.

Definitely weird... Like swart said, You should be good to go right from the power up...

Even if the GPS unit new exactly how fast you were going, the sattelite return information would still be behind... Must be something to do with the navigation software...

Anywho, if tapping in to the VSS at the PCM didn't work, it's not likely to work anywhere else along the line... It'll have the same signal everywhere, unless the unit can read directly through the serial communications bus. (i.e. OBD2 port)

The manual should have some advice as to how to get it to work properly, or if you need anything to convert the signal to something it can use...

The only other possible option, would be if you were to tap into the speedometer wire between the computer and the instrument cluster...

Old 12-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Speedo wire could work. Is there anyway to change the pulse per mile count in the software? Maybe it's just thinking there is supposed to be X number of pulses when there is Y? Have you contacted Kenwood support?

Old 12-28-2007, 09:38 AM
BF Veteran

If you can't change it in the software, they sell things that are supposed to change the VSS pulses so your speedo and odometer read accurately after a tire size change...

There should besomething in the units settings for it, otherwise it wouldn't work with any newer GM truck, and possibly car...

Old 12-31-2007, 09:10 AM

Hey guys thanks for the input, well in the kenwood units there are hidden screens that tell you information about the car and the readouts that it is getting.

For instance I am getting everything including the parking brake read out as well as the kmph and mph that the car is travelling. The only thing that I am not getting is a Speed Pulse Count. From what I have read online I know that the Blazer generates a 4000 speed pulse per mile. So while I drove the car around on the highway I noticed that the unit was not getting any speed pulse reading. I know that is where the issue lies.

I will check to see if I can change any settings on the unit. Also I haven't called Kenwood due to the holidays and all but hopefully in the new year I will.

I will keep you guys posted.

DRPERRY: the things you are talking about I was looking for them online any idea of what they could be? I wasn't having any luck finding anything.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:13 PM
BF Veteran

ORIGINAL: 19BLAZER96

Gor instance I am getting everything including the parking brake read out as well as the kmph and mph that the car is travelling.

DRPERRY: the things you are talking about I was looking for them online any idea of what they could be? I wasn't having any luck finding anything.

Odd that you're getting speed readings and it's still not working...
Is it tapped into the correct wire?

As for the other one... I don't know anymore, lol, I can't find what I was taling about anymore I'll keep lookin' though