Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Need help with custom enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:53 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about
Default Need help with custom enclosure

I have a prefab sealed box, and I just do not like the way it sounds. I mostly listen to rap and think that I would benefit quite a bit for a ported, plus, I like the deep sound they provide.
However, what I have been reading about prefab ported boxes, they are tuned to work with a wide variety of sub brands, I would ultimately like to build one that is tuned to my specific sub.
Is there a free program that someone could point me to, so I can get the dimensions and a little "blue print" so I can build one?
how hard is it to do (the building part I got, but figuring out everything to tune it to my sub confuses me at this point)
Thanks!

Old 09-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Start with what subs you are using and go from there. Are you going to use a slot port or use aero ports?

Old 09-23-2012, 09:33 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I would like to use a slot port, I know what an aero port is, I am not really sure of the difference between the 2 sound wise, As for the sub, I have a 12" power Acoustiks fubar.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:04 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Altoncustomtech had a post somewhere with a program for open-office. Try searching for it, it was about a year ago I think.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:44 AM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

This one is helpful as well. I remember 12-16 inches of port area per sq. foot being recommended often for 12's.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:43 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

so your running a single 12 on how much power?

I would recommend a 2cube box with a tuning of 32hz since you listen to mainly rap

Old 09-24-2012, 10:26 AM
BF Veteran

750w rms at 2 ohms (hifonics amps are a bit over rated though. Thanks for all the help.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:54 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Thogert
Altoncustomtech had a post somewhere with a program for open-office. Try searching for it, it was about a year ago I think.
Thanks for the mention on this, but I've basically quit putting up the revised versions on it due to the fact that most people had a real hard time figuring out how to use it. It works perfect but the user interface and it's ability to figure everything for you just throws people off.

To the OP, post up your maximum dimensions, the orientation you would like to use (i.e. port back, sub up or port and sub back or port and sub up, etc), and I'll get you something designed, drawn up and posted back up here.

Also, what about the sound of the sealed enclosure don't you like? Not get deep enough, or is it too "boomy" for example? There's some quick and easy little tricks one can do with a sealed enclosure to help with response. If it's not playing deep enough for you it may be a little undersized for the sub. Adding some polyfill, like what's on the shelf at Walmart for pillows, can help with that to an extent. Don't use more than 1lb of polyfill per cubic foot of enclosure space and be sure you keep it away from the pole vent, motor vents, and anything else that could potentially get it into the subs moving structure. If it's sounding "boomy" the enclosure may be too large for the sub. You can take some pieces of 2x4 and place them in the bottom of the enclosure to take up some of the extra space until you get the response you're looking for. Then simply screw them in place permanently.

You might try those two little tricks first before going through the time, cost and trouble of building a new enclosure. Also, you might get some weatherstripping and put it on the sub where the frame mounts to the enclosure to ensure it has an air tight seal to the baffle. You wouldn't believe how many times I've seen a leak at the sub/baffle surface be the cause of an issue with response in a sealed enclosure.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:15 PM
BF Veteran

Thanks, I tried the poly fill, it helped slightly, but not much, this box was given to me for free and is not the best box, my friend had a little hatch back and got the smallest sealed prefab box you could possibly imagine, so there is not nearly enough airspace.

It gets deep, but Ive just always liked the sound better from a ported box, since I listen to rap 95% of the time, the lows they are capable in a ported is awesome.

As for the space, I would like to make it no more than 2.5 feet wide and 2 feet deep and a foot and a half tall. I would like it sub back port back as well.
I really appreciate the help. I just never really been a fan of prefabbed boxes, and like building things, so I figured this would be a good way to go.

Last edited by richphotos; 09-24-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:24 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

That's way more room than you need for a single 12. I'll get you something drawn up here in a bit and see what you think.

Quick Reply: Need help with custom enclosure