Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

New amp = Big drop in MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:37 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough
Default New amp = Big drop in MPG?

Well i wouldn't say its a BIG drop but its a drop. So last week i finally got my new amp and sub in. i went from a low powered precision power amp (like 100 watts maybe) to a 600 watt JBL amp and a new 12" Kenwood sub.

So to start i have the MPG read out in my truck, before i did anything it would consistently say that i burned a half gallon less than i actually did (so it was being generous) then i added my cold air intake then is consistently said i was burning half a gallon more than i actually was. then i added my HID's and it dropped a little (why i dont know, they are supposed to pull less power) now after my new amp it says im burning a gallon less than i actually am, so its a ways off.

so my question is will adding an amp drop the MPG than much?? i mean i could see why it would because its pulling a lot more power causing the alternator to work harder and a 600 watt amp is by far the biggest consumer of electricity in the truck. i just didnt think it would drop it that much.

Also my crappy Spectre filter is well.. crappy, and getting kinda dirty so that might have something to do with it as well.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Kknd310 is on a distinguished road

do you have a High output alternator? or a capacitor on for the subs?

my guess would be the alternator is working overtime to supply the needed power, try cleaning that air filter or possibly getting a better brand? maybe look into a HO alt?

Old 01-04-2012, 06:54 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

i just have one sub but i didnt think that i would need a cap for a 600 Watt amp. but if you dont up grade the alt then a cap wont do you any good. and up grading the alt wont help the mileage i dont think because it still has to put out the same amount of power it just does it easier, but creates more drag on the belt at the same time. thats what would make sense to me anyways.

ive been planning on going with new filter soon anyways and my heat shield isnt doing the best job of keeping the heat out anymore so im going to make a new one when i do my body lift.

but anyways i was just hoping someone would have a similar story so that i know its my amp and not something else

thanks for the reply