Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

New deck for Blazer 4DR - iPod, sub outs

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 01:42 AM
nocluejimbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New deck for Blazer 4DR - iPod, sub outs

Hey guys, new Blazer owner here, a 2002 4-door LS in white.

I have an iPod and would like to replace the current deck with no cassette deck with an iPod-controlling deck with subouts, for at or under $200. I am looking at a couple of Pioneer models at Crutchfield that come with the $30 cable for free, but I really don't know what brand or model I want. I am looking to stay with the stock speakers, and eventually add a sub in a few months, so that should be a consideration.

Thanks for any input you may have, and pics of your installs and rides would be great.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:02 AM
Starting Member
NoPh33rRaCiNg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: New deck for Blazer 4DR - iPod, sub outs

i have a P-490IB with the ipod cable included and i love it. Great deck for the price.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:10 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

I sell that exact unit, and i would get the JVC KDPDR30. The IPOD control is so much better on the JVC unit. But its your money. Both units are very solid.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:23 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Personally I have always liked the Pioneer units, I have had 2 of them and a Blaupunkt (and the Delco stock in the Blazer). However I have seen teh JVC in friends' cars and they look sweet and sound as good (when I tune them right cause my friends are idots and pretty much try to blow their speakers). My brother has a pioneer deck with the iPod input/control and it seems to work just fine I have hooked up his and my iPod with out any problems. So I would go with a Pioneer and spend enough to get the Blue OEL screen.

-Lenny

Old 08-02-2007, 02:56 PM
Mr Blazer LT is an unknown quantity at this point

I like Panasonic's decks. May want to consider this model.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-A9fxrT5...i=133C7413#Tab

Its basically a newer version of my deck. Nice soundshaping options, three 5-volt preamp outputs including subwoofer output, built in high/low pass filters, Ipod control, and a cool display (mine is bigger though).

Old 08-02-2007, 04:54 PM

The front of my stock stereo has an "aux" button. Is there a way to connect an iPod/RCA cables to this deck through a wiring harness or other means?

Old 08-02-2007, 07:42 PM

Yes there is possibly. You would need to do some research on if it will work on your particular stereo, but it should be a PIE GM-9 or a PIE GM-12 depending on number of pins. It would allow you to have either a pair of RCA inputs or a 3.5 mm input jack, some of them also have an iPod adpeter. I would google search it and do some research then post up if you got some questions. These things are very vehicle dependent, based on year, CD or tape or both, and a couple other things.

Hope this helps, personally have found that none of these products work for my specific radio so I just got a tape cassette adapter for now (got tired of interferece with the FM transmitter) and that works great. I will eventually be getting a Pioneer deck and getting the adapter that allows for iPod control on the Headunit plus the charging feature.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:08 PM

ORIGINAL: lennyblazer

Yes there is possibly. You would need to do some research on if it will work on your particular stereo, but it should be a PIE GM-9 or a PIE GM-12 depending on number of pins. It would allow you to have either a pair of RCA inputs or a 3.5 mm input jack, some of them also have an iPod adpeter. I would google search it and do some research then post up if you got some questions. These things are very vehicle dependent, based on year, CD or tape or both, and a couple other things.

Hope this helps, personally have found that none of these products work for my specific radio so I just got a tape cassette adapter for now (got tired of interferece with the FM transmitter) and that works great. I will eventually be getting a Pioneer deck and getting the adapter that allows for iPod control on the Headunit plus the charging feature.
I have no tape deck, or else that would have been the first option. It worked very well on my previous car. I hope one of these units will work, because I would like to not have to give up my antenna, and there is zero chance of me using a wireless FM setup.

I have the dash taken apart, so I will check and see how many pins it has, I didn't see before.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:35 PM

I think it should be the 9 pin model since I believe GM switched to the double din headunit in 2003, which means you sould have a 9 pin setup. Here is a link to a place that sells them and is reputable CLICKY. According to them, the P.I.E. GM9-AUX 1995-2003 GM Auxiliary Input Converter should work fine with your truck, then I would find on either Ebay or at a local electronics/car parts store for a Male RCA plugs to Male 3.5mm plug cord which would allow you to plug in a iPod or anything with a female 3.5mm audio jack (iPod, Zune, other MP3 players, Laptop, etc.).

Old 08-02-2007, 11:26 PM

ORIGINAL: lennyblazer

I think it should be the 9 pin model since I believe GM switched to the double din headunit in 2003, which means you sould have a 9 pin setup. Here is a link to a place that sells them and is reputable CLICKY. According to them, the P.I.E. GM9-AUX 1995-2003 GM Auxiliary Input Converter should work fine with your truck, then I would find on either Ebay or at a local electronics/car parts store for a Male RCA plugs to Male 3.5mm plug cord which would allow you to plug in a iPod or anything with a female 3.5mm audio jack (iPod, Zune, other MP3 players, Laptop, etc.).
I already have one of those cords and will be using it with a Harmon/Kardon Drive+Play, so the only thing I will need is the adapter to RCA plugs. Do you know if you can still use the in-dash cd player with this setup?

Quick Reply: New deck for Blazer 4DR - iPod, sub outs