Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

NEW Stereo for 97 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 07:12 PM
RaDiCal_Beaver is on a distinguished road
Default NEW Stereo for 97 Blazer

Hi all,
I'm a new member here and a new owner of a 97 blazer. My stock radio system no longer plays CDs so I'm looking to upgrade. I just need some guidance in choosing an awesome, compatible, and easy to install system. I also need help uninstalling the old one and installing the new one correctly. If anyone could recommend a system and guide me towards successfully replacing it I would be very appreciative. I've attached a picture of my stock radio if it helps. Also, I've taken down the dimensions. It is 8 and 1/4" wide and 3 and 3/4" tall. I've looked into some systems such as this
pioneer pioneer
stereo. This system seems to have everything I need but, I'm wondering how I would install it. Would I need a special wiring kit of some sort? Thanks for any help you all can offer.
On a side note, my car just recently and randomly turned on the service engine light. Any ideas why or what to do? Sorry for being so ignorant about all this. It's my first car but I'm hoping to learn all the ins and outs of the machine. Thanks again!

Attached Thumbnails NEW Stereo for 97 Blazer-stockradio97blazer.jpg  
Old 10-20-2015, 10:53 PM
Beginning Member
danthony428 is on a distinguished road

Look at a site like crutchfield and input your vehicle year and model. It'll tell you what fits your vehicle, you should also be able to find the wiring components you need. You'll definitely need a wiring adapter that plugs into your factory harness and then splices into the harness of the aftermarket stereo.

You should be able to easily find an install kit that fits your car. I have a single din in mine, but i'm 95% positive they make a double din as well. Just be sure to pick one with a depth that will fit into the factory spot. Mine is a bit deeper than the spot was, but with a little modification of the brace, I made it work.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:56 AM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

There is a plethora of information on this site alone dealing with radio installs. The search feature is your friend

Same thing with the check engine light, just enter some key terms and search away!!

Welcome to the site!!

Old 10-21-2015, 09:27 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

The beautiful thing about Crutchfield is that not only can they tell you what fits, but they also send installation instructions for your specific vehicle and task at hand. Aside from them generally always pricing everything at MSRP they're pretty hard to beat, especially in that regard.

Double Din isn't an option for someone who really doesn't have any installation experience at all, there's just too many things that have to be either modified or done that takes some experience and prior knowledge to do correctly. The standard radio size typically found in these trucks is what is referred to as 1.5 DIN, a standard radio is referred to as single DIN or 1 DIN and then you have the Double DIN or 2 DIN. That simply refers to the height of the opening/radio. A single DIN is basically 2" tall, a 1.5 DIN is 3" tall and a double DIN is 4" tall. The simplest and often cheapest route is just a single DIN unit.

Crutchfield should include the harness adapter with your purchase as will SonicElectronix. It's fairly simple to hook the harness that comes with the aftermarket stereo to the harness adapter since about 15 years or so ago they standardized the wiring color schemes on the stereos and the harness adapters. Red goes to red, black goes to black, yellow goes to yellow, green with a black stripe goes to green with a black stripe and so on and so forth. Soldering the wires and using heat shrink to cover the solder joints is the best practice but if you've never done that before either then use the crimp on butt/splice connectors to connect the wires to each other. Please don't wrap the wires together and tape them, it can and usually will just lead to headaches down the road.

As for the check engine light, take it to your local Autozone, Advanced Auto, O'Reilly (and others) auto parts store and have them hook up the code scanning tool to your truck and give you the codes that caused the light to come on. Then come back here and search for the codes. That will be the easiest way to find out what your truck thinks is wrong and often times how to fix it. If it's outside of your or anyone you know's mechanical capabilities then you'll need to take it to a shop to have it serviced.