Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Noise and Interference

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:35 PM
MVPalmer271 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Noise and Interference

I just finished installing my car pc. The only trouble i am having is I am picking up noise from the car (?alternator?) and its playing through my stereo. I'm pretty sure it is comming in through the power because if I plug the same cable into an MP3 Player and drive around theres no problme. Has anyone had this problme and if so have they found some sort of filter that worked. (Maybe with there System?) It is also giving my touch screen a lil interference too, but not enough to complain about. The noise pitch changes with the engine RPMs. The setup is Cig Lighter to car PC to aftermarket Stereo. Thanks
Michael

Old 01-07-2008, 07:44 PM
chevcamls1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Noise and Interference

ok listen u'll always have engine noise the only way i got almost all of it off is by grounding the motherboard to the power supply depends if u can or no depends on what power supply u are using but the best thing is using a capacitor thats how i got mine off
post some pictures so i can see ur pc

Old 01-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Zasder is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it the same noise that happens when your cell phone is next to your speakers and is about to ring?

Old 01-07-2008, 07:50 PM
cloak01ls is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: chevcamls1

ok listen u'll always have engine noise the only way i got almost all of it off is by grounding the motherboard to the power supply depends if u can or no depends on what power supply u are using but the best thing is using a capacitor thats how i got mine off
post some pictures so i can see ur pc
Huh???

Engine noise is typically caused by a bad ground or a signal wire being too close to an emmiting power wire...Im not sure exactly what you are running, but maybe finding a better ground for your cigarette lighter...

Old 01-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Mr Blazer LT is an unknown quantity at this point

My ground for my amp isn't exactly the best ground in the world, but a noise insulator thing between the deck and amp solved my problem.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:29 PM

OK, i'll get Pics tomorrow. The Noise is a whining truthfully it sounds like my blazer has a turbo. Kinda cool but gets old real fast. I would figure the power supply was grounded to the MOBO but i guess not? Pics tomorrow...
Thanks

Old 01-07-2008, 10:35 PM

what kind of power supply are you using????????
i hope u are not using a regular house pc power supply show me some pics and hopefully i will help u out

Old 01-07-2008, 10:44 PM

He He of course not but, i know a few who tried to run a desktop as a car pc off of an inverter... Mine is very similar to this setup.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:52 PM

ok i see u are runnig a power inverter and thats what its causing the noise u need to eliminate the power inverter and the power supply u have and buy a 12volt power supply its also a power on/off controller
trust me thats how i started my carputer and the power inveter just kill the battery with time
check out this power supply at ebay its the best choise
http://cgi.ebay.com/M2-ATX-Car-PC-Ca...em150203288094
what system are u running cpu,memory etc???

Old 01-07-2008, 11:15 PM

Well I dont want it to kill my friggen battery its a new die hard. With that power supply do you think you could rig it in with you ignition to start up automatically? Right Now its a P4 1.8Ghz (I know P4's real efficient huh), 512mb ram, like a 60gig HDD, XP Pro, and an 8in touch screen. Not exactly a gameing rig but for a car its pretty good. Also can you buy the cables and software for the OBDII connectors to read codes and tune??
Michael

Quick Reply: Noise and Interference