Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   Noob question on speakers... (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/noob-question-speakers-43822/)

th3m00s3 04-26-2010 08:05 PM

Noob question on speakers...

Hi all,

Excuse my "newness", I just got my Blazer last weekend- a 2000 2dr 4x4 LS. I love everything about it other than the speakers, so I'm going to replace all of them. As I understand it, there are two speakers in the front doors, two in the back, and two in the dash. Replacing the speakers in the front and back shouldn't be a problem, but I'm confused about these "dash" speakers. I took off the grill today and I saw something that only vaguely looked like a speaker. It was like a metal plate with something that kind-oft-sorta looked like maybe a tweeter? I think there's sound coming out of it, as there are wires connected to it. Is this a tweeter? Is it a speaker? How do I replace it, especially with the windshield so obnoxiously close?

Thanks in advance

BlazerGuy2001 04-26-2010 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by th3m00s3 (Post 324735)
Hi all,

Excuse my "newness", I just got my Blazer last weekend- a 2000 2dr 4x4 LS. I love everything about it other than the speakers, so I'm going to replace all of them. As I understand it, there are two speakers in the front doors, two in the back, and two in the dash. Replacing the speakers in the front and back shouldn't be a problem, but I'm confused about these "dash" speakers. I took off the grill today and I saw something that only vaguely looked like a speaker. It was like a metal plate with something that kind-oft-sorta looked like maybe a tweeter? I think there's sound coming out of it, as there are wires connected to it. Is this a tweeter? Is it a speaker? How do I replace it, especially with the windshield so obnoxiously close?

Thanks in advance

your very right, it is indeed a tweeter and as for replacing it you have several options. If you remove the plate it makes room for a 4x6 speaker in either side, you can also leave the plate in and buy a set of component speakers(tweeter and woofer separate) and wire them into it, my build thread covers my setup which is a component setup, take a look and if you have any questions ill be glad to help!!
BTW my build thread is located in my sig below!

zedartwo 04-26-2010 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by BlazerGuy2001 (Post 324748)
your very right, it is indeed a tweeter and as for replacing it you have several options. If you remove the plate it makes room for a 4x6 speaker in either side, you can also leave the plate in and buy a set of component speakers(tweeter and woofer separate) and wire them into it, my build thread covers my setup which is a component setup, take a look and if you have any questions ill be glad to help!!

Yea , What he said! I've got the same set up. Comps up front tri-axials out back.

th3m00s3 04-27-2010 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by BlazerGuy2001 (Post 324748)

It might be just me, but I can't seem to find the setup/install photos in your thread

BlazerGuy2001 04-27-2010 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by th3m00s3 (Post 324842)
It might be just me, but I can't seem to find the setup/install photos in your thread

No I just realized I had never posted any pics up of the final install. I'll take some tonight for you and post them up on this thread

th3m00s3 04-27-2010 09:55 AM

Alright thanks man

BlazerGuy2001 04-27-2010 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by th3m00s3 (Post 324899)
Alright thanks man

No problem, are there any specific areas you want pictures of or just the general setup?

th3m00s3 04-27-2010 02:38 PM

the entire set up if you dont mind. i havent really decided yet if i want to install speakers myself or get them professionally installed. installing them myself looks very daunting, but it'll save me a hundred bucks or so.

oktain 04-27-2010 02:51 PM

I would also suggest upgrading your deck... I hated my "speakers" until I upgraded my deck, the sound was MUCH better, and I'm an audiophile... to the point where I just dropped $$$$ on a Bose surround sound system for my basement lol.
...Come to think of it I only have pictures of my sub in my build thread lol...

th3m00s3 04-27-2010 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by oktain (Post 324992)
I would also suggest upgrading your deck... I hated my "speakers" until I upgraded my deck, the sound was MUCH better, and I'm an audiophile... to the point where I just dropped $$$$ on a Bose surround sound system for my basement lol.
...Come to think of it I only have pictures of my sub in my build thread lol...

haha oh i feel you..i have dr.dre beats headphones and a bose surround system in my basement also haha. i'll probably end up upgrading the head unit also