Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Noob question on speakers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Beginning Member
th3m00s3 is on a distinguished road
Default Noob question on speakers...

Hi all,

Excuse my "newness", I just got my Blazer last weekend- a 2000 2dr 4x4 LS. I love everything about it other than the speakers, so I'm going to replace all of them. As I understand it, there are two speakers in the front doors, two in the back, and two in the dash. Replacing the speakers in the front and back shouldn't be a problem, but I'm confused about these "dash" speakers. I took off the grill today and I saw something that only vaguely looked like a speaker. It was like a metal plate with something that kind-oft-sorta looked like maybe a tweeter? I think there's sound coming out of it, as there are wires connected to it. Is this a tweeter? Is it a speaker? How do I replace it, especially with the windshield so obnoxiously close?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-26-2010, 08:21 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by th3m00s3
Hi all,

Excuse my "newness", I just got my Blazer last weekend- a 2000 2dr 4x4 LS. I love everything about it other than the speakers, so I'm going to replace all of them. As I understand it, there are two speakers in the front doors, two in the back, and two in the dash. Replacing the speakers in the front and back shouldn't be a problem, but I'm confused about these "dash" speakers. I took off the grill today and I saw something that only vaguely looked like a speaker. It was like a metal plate with something that kind-oft-sorta looked like maybe a tweeter? I think there's sound coming out of it, as there are wires connected to it. Is this a tweeter? Is it a speaker? How do I replace it, especially with the windshield so obnoxiously close?

Thanks in advance
your very right, it is indeed a tweeter and as for replacing it you have several options. If you remove the plate it makes room for a 4x6 speaker in either side, you can also leave the plate in and buy a set of component speakers(tweeter and woofer separate) and wire them into it, my build thread covers my setup which is a component setup, take a look and if you have any questions ill be glad to help!!
BTW my build thread is located in my sig below!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:19 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BlazerGuy2001
your very right, it is indeed a tweeter and as for replacing it you have several options. If you remove the plate it makes room for a 4x6 speaker in either side, you can also leave the plate in and buy a set of component speakers(tweeter and woofer separate) and wire them into it, my build thread covers my setup which is a component setup, take a look and if you have any questions ill be glad to help!!
Yea , What he said! I've got the same set up. Comps up front tri-axials out back.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:49 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by BlazerGuy2001
It might be just me, but I can't seem to find the setup/install photos in your thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:48 AM

It might be just me, but I can't seem to find the setup/install photos in your thread
No I just realized I had never posted any pics up of the final install. I'll take some tonight for you and post them up on this thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Beginning Member

Alright thanks man

Old 04-27-2010, 10:01 AM

Alright thanks man
No problem, are there any specific areas you want pictures of or just the general setup?

Old 04-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Beginning Member

the entire set up if you dont mind. i havent really decided yet if i want to install speakers myself or get them professionally installed. installing them myself looks very daunting, but it'll save me a hundred bucks or so.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:51 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I would also suggest upgrading your deck... I hated my "speakers" until I upgraded my deck, the sound was MUCH better, and I'm an audiophile... to the point where I just dropped $$$$ on a Bose surround sound system for my basement lol.
...Come to think of it I only have pictures of my sub in my build thread lol...

Old 04-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by oktain
I would also suggest upgrading your deck... I hated my "speakers" until I upgraded my deck, the sound was MUCH better, and I'm an audiophile... to the point where I just dropped $$$$ on a Bose surround sound system for my basement lol.
...Come to think of it I only have pictures of my sub in my build thread lol...
haha oh i feel you..i have dr.dre beats headphones and a bose surround system in my basement also haha. i'll probably end up upgrading the head unit also

Quick Reply: Noob question on speakers...