Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

OEM Radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Beginning Member
Maynard97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OEM Radio

Would it be possible/practical to install a newer OEM radio, say from a 2007 trailblazer, into a 1997 Blazer? Both are double-din. My '97 has the original radio and I like the look and feel of the newer OEM's.

Where could I buy a newer OEM radio, complete with satellite tuner?

Thanks,
Maynard

Old 11-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: OEM Radio

I do not believe that this would be possible due to the integration of the stereo into the other systems on the vehicle. Those systems do not exist in the s-series vehicles.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Beginning Member
Maynard97 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

agreed. Newer cars have a databus system,a nd will not work on pre 2001 gm cars.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:25 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Both Pat and Kyle are correct (as usual...lol). The newer generation of radios are tied into the GM LAN (local area network) and communicate with other modules on the car. That being said, the only thing that would actually keep them from working in your car is the fact that they will go into left-lock if they do not receive the proper VIN number in a mesage from another module. On your 97 model there is nothing that sends this VIN mesage, but you could, at least theoretically, make one of these radios work in a newer model (1998-2005) S/T truck. But it would have to have been equipped with a radio that communicates with the BCM on the class 2 data line, (rpo's UB0, UB1, US8, US9 etc..) so it could receive the VIN message for operation. Anyway, I want to recommend a Pioneer DEH-M7700MP....I just bought one and I LOVE it...great sound quality and the aftermarket radios now have as good or better reception than most factory-installed units, so it's a win-win...