Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

off road lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:44 PM
99blaz is on a distinguished road
Default off road lights

considering putting two off road lights on the stock roof rack on my 99 blazer. I have no idea how to go about hooking them up, were to run the wires mostly. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:01 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: off road lights

You've got a few options, easiest is to simply run the wire from the lights to the nearest door, then down with the weather stripping, up to the battery...etc. If you want to have a cleaner appearance, you can run the wire through the roof rack or attached to the rack back to the rear of the truck, down into the rubber wire sheath that carries the defroster lines for the rear glass, under the headliner, all the way up to the front, down the A pillar, to the firewall grommit, battery, etc.

A couple guys on here have actually mounted the lights directly to the cross bars of the factory rack, kiwiblazer modified the front to let the cross bar move farther forward and put the lights in a more usefull position. Mine are on my safari rack, and I have the lights ran back through the rack, down under the head liner, and up to the battery.

Depends how much time you want to put into the install really

Old 04-28-2008, 06:06 PM
myol blue4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have my lights wireing going underneith the front part of the roof rack then through one of the side mounts to the roof rack and ran under my headliner and eventually through the fire wall. I think its better to invest the time and hide the darn wires.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Zasder is an unknown quantity at this point

dont put two unless you have larger ones like wolfpack... I started out with 2 and it looked very uneven, if you are using the the circle 6" ones, go with 4.

I just drilled through the crossmember of the roofrack, and ran the wire through the crossmember since it is hollow. then dont through the driver door, into the center counsel where I mounted my switches.

Pictures are in my gallery.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:01 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Check out my photo gallery to see what I did.

By the way wolfpack, I actually added an extra roof rail (aftermarket) to the existing one right up front so that if needed I can still use the original roof racks. Except for long stuff.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:45 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Ahhh alright...I clicked through your pics just now. Didn't realize that's what ya did. Good idea

Old 04-29-2008, 03:54 PM

thanks guys. appreciate the help. The lights i was thinkin about were rectangle one that i found at walmart cause i really don't want to spend much money since i just bought the blazer. I definetly want to hide the wires but dont really want to rip down the headliner. If i was too though is it hard to get the headliner back and look normal?

Old 04-29-2008, 04:13 PM
blazinrebel is an unknown quantity at this point

no its not to bad to get the headliner back up. just a few hand tools. but i wouldnt take the whole headliner down, i would undo the trim on one side and tuck the wires up on top of the headliner. just be careful not to rip anything it is a pain to replace headliner fabric.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:18 PM

thanks i wasnt planin on rippin the whole thing down just the corner like you said. i just don't want to mess anything up lol. I have takin door panels off is it just as easy for the headliner?

Old 04-29-2008, 04:44 PM
blazinrebel is an unknown quantity at this point

i personally think that the headliner was easier to get back up then it was to do my door panels

Quick Reply: off road lights