Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Opinions on subwoofers?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Beginning Member
xachman17 is on a distinguished road
Default Opinions on subwoofers?

I am going to be re-building my audio system in my ZR2 and am trying to figure out what subs i want, haven't heard either brand so its a toss up right now. I have 4 Alpine type r's right now and am either going to upgrade to 2 18" Fi SSD's or 2 15" American Bass XFL's or if i cant decide just get 2 more type r's. I'll be running the same power on all of them i just need some opinions on the Fi's and XFL's, it would help out ALOT

Old 11-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Beginning Member
retwizted is an unknown quantity at this point

wow sounds like you have some bump already, i'd be cautious friend you'll blow out your seals, all i have is a 15 with 2700 watts of rms going to them and im already blowing out the seals, so i keep my turned down, i havn't had any personnal experience with the 18's but the american bass xfl's i have had before and i thought they BLEW! after 2 or 3 weeks or installing them into my truck they fried, truely fried. another friend had them and they friend on him within couple months, so be cautious with them. and NEVER run them during the winter.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Beginning Member

they fried?! thats crazy, i've heard they are great subs! i'm really leaning towards the 18's cause ive had 12's and 15's so it'd be something new, plus i'm really going for the WOW factor lol. thanks for the feedback

Old 11-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Beginning Member

lol no problem, but ya they fried not sure why but me and a friend in the same town, somethings odd there, maybe they are good subs and the store we bought ours from mistreated them or something, anything could be happening there. i just took it as the brand cuz they looked good lol. and i understand the wow factor, thats why i got mine, its loud enouph to shake the water in a bathtub from a quarter mile away. to loud for daily driving but thats why you turn it down lol.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Beginning Member

oh forgot to mention i noticed if you crank up your sub, if you have the 4 dr crack the back window by 4" it gets louder i think and doesn't blow out your rear seals on back windows.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:18 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

I have had a ton of large setups in my blazer with no issues with the seals at all. May I suggest throwing Sundown Audio into the mix? They make a top quality product and are assembled in NC. I am also a rep for them and can get you pricing if you like. Message me if your interested

Old 11-16-2011, 10:53 PM
Beginning Member

yeah i've noticed it gets louder especially on the lows but thats cause of more air movement obviously lol. i haven't had any problems with my seals yet either and i've been beatin the truck up pretty good for awhile. Sundowns would be real nice but this is also a budget build:/ hence the SSD 18's & not BTL's

Old 11-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Beginning Member

Oh & there is no such thing as too loud, the louder the better

Old 11-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Beginning Member

Any opinions on the SSD's?

Old 11-23-2011, 03:48 AM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

Personally, XFLs are good subs. never heard horror stories like those of retwizted. My company is a rep for American bass along with other companies and have never had any issues.

The cold thing, i don't buy it. if you're trying to bump hard right off the get go when its 20 degrees out, sure you can damage something. just like anything in the cold.

My buddy has had 2 12s in his sunfire for the last 2 years and never damaged them, blown them up, or fried anything. they still sound as good as they did a week after he got them (when they were broken in) and he ran them on 2500 watt rms daily with a HO alternator and 2 batteries. voltage never below 13.8 and they were great.

I will be doing a large build with XFLs, American Bass VFL amps, and Juicebox batteries to compete in the 2012 season.

SSDs are good subs, as are XFLs, Sundown, Fi, and so forth. in all honesty it comes down to what do YOU want. i have heard both and they all sound great and can hit the lows very well.

What amp will you be running them on anyways? what does your electrical look like? do you build your own boxes? a lot of things can come into play as to why subs get damaged and so forth. I wouldn't want you to drop $500 on s new setup for them to go up in smoke because of something happening due to voltage drop or poorly built sub box

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinions on subwoofers?