Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

placement of amps and subs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Beginning Member
thrash902 is on a distinguished road
Default placement of amps and subs.

ive been looking on here and i didnt see anything. so... i figured i would just ask. im looking to buy a two amps and a pair of small subs. the first amp will power the rear speakers. the second amp will power a pair of 8 inch subs. i was going to place both subs into a double box and put it behind my back seat. my question is where should i place my speaker amp? where should i place my sub amp? finally... where should i place my twin 8 inch subs. im just looking ideas on what other people did.

PS: this all going into a 1994 4 door blazer s10.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Beginning Member
argon929 is on a distinguished road

do your rear seats fold down ?

Old 11-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Beginning Member

yes they do.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Beginning Member
argon929 is on a distinguished road

i have seen and done in my grand am putting the amps on the flap/flaps that folds with the seat and then run the wires under it looks pretty cool if the amp dont fit on either panel then i have seen them under the rear seats also and the subs i would either make or find a stelth box to put over the wheel wells or just a plane sealed box setin behind the rear seats i no mtx and i believe jl audio make preloaded applications

Last edited by argon929; 11-12-2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: for got
Old 11-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Beginning Member

ok thanks. i want to hide them so i can still get full function out of my suv... specially for gigs.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Beginning Member
loomdog32 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by thrash902
ok thanks. i want to hide them so i can still get full function out of my suv... specially for gigs.
Are you a musician? In my old vehicle, I would pull my sub box to make room for equipment/hauling stuff.

Im kinda stuck at either just biting the bullet and keeping the box I currenty have or make enclosures the sit behind the wheel well..

Using sealed boxes behind the wheel well will give you the most usable space for storage and possible help hide the subs better.

A regular rectangle shape box will allow for MUCH better performance from the subs tho..

Choices choices

Old 11-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Beginning Member

yes i am. im a drummer so i need a ton of space for moving my set around. i figured that i would do that and just remove it from the back every time i need to do it. but i dont want have to take my amps out too. i seen a cool idea on here aboiut mounting the amps to the back of the back seats. it looked cool and i think i will do that. Ill just make a box or something to put over them when i need to stack a lot of stuff in there.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Heres a pic:

Old 11-19-2009, 12:13 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by thrash902
yes i am. im a drummer so i need a ton of space for moving my set around. i figured that i would do that and just remove it from the back every time i need to do it. but i dont want have to take my amps out too. i seen a cool idea on here aboiut mounting the amps to the back of the back seats. it looked cool and i think i will do that. Ill just make a box or something to put over them when i need to stack a lot of stuff in there.
you don't want to be doing that. notice where the amp was in Ugly_Monkey's pic? it's sitting level with the floor when the seats are folded down. and what happens when you slid in your drums? *CRUNCH*

you can't fold down the rear seat with the amps under it either-no room. trust me, i had a system in my '92 that could be heard for 6 to 7 blocks away. build a sealed box (it's tighter), and mount your amps to the back of it. make labels for all the connections (i had quick disconnects on all my connections-except for the power/grounds) and you're good to go.

the box i had for my JL 12W6's was big, but i still had enough room for a milk crate to fit between the box, and the tg when closed.

and upgrade to 10's (at least). 8's will sound ok, but you'll soon notice that they won't "hit" like you want (regardless of what music you listen to).

Old 11-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Beginning Member
loomdog32 is on a distinguished road

If you check thirdgen.org, there is a complete write up for mounting amps INSIDE the back seats.. Its several years old now, but if you can find it, it should work with just about any seat. here are some posts about doing this with pics (I couldnt find the origional tech article)

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ca...back-seat.html

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ca...-seat-amp.html

8s can hit as had as 15s.. its all about the box.. If you want something removable, your more than likely looking at a sealed box or a small ported box.. I would also consider the "tubes".. You used to be able to find them at Kragen/Checkers/ORiely.. $10-25 with a cheapy sub (remove that sub with a decent one).. I used that for 6.5 speakers for a long time and a buddy used a 10 sub in those.. If you want something tiny, take a look at the new kicker 6s..

Quick Reply: placement of amps and subs.