Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Ported boxes

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 03:15 PM
98BlackBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ported boxes

could anyone help me out with some info on how to build a ported box for my JL 10" w7?

Old 08-15-2006, 03:50 PM
BF Veteran
XBlazer01 has a spectacular aura aboutXBlazer01 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Ported boxes

heres a nice tool

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/...&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0

Change the settings to the requireed stuff for the 10W7 tho.

Old 08-15-2006, 04:14 PM
boomtruck97 is an unknown quantity at this point

or, download WinISD. its free and great. if you want a lil easier - go with ajported.exe. some guy made a set of exes that take speaker info - give you the perfect like areas, then design the box for you. easy as pie.

Old 08-15-2006, 04:42 PM
BF Veteran

long writeup i found for WinISD for ya.

Some help getting over the hurdles

WinISD Pro

WinISD Pro is box-building software. A program that installs on your PC, it will provide you with the tools to design a woofer enclosure. Download it HERE (it is freeware).

The program uses parameters that you input from those provided by the manufacturer, or from measurements you have taken of the woofer. It calculates those parameters and, along with a given amount of box airspace, forms a response that you can expect to get from the woofer. It is just one of several box-building programs that you could use, but it is free and relatively easy to master.

FAQ: "Why do I need a box-building program?"

Most woofers, including subwoofers, need an enclosure in order to work properly. The amount, or volume, of air in the enclosure is critical in how the woofer performs. Using the tools provided by WinISD allows you to see what differences there would be with different air volumes, and lets you adjust the sound to your liking by making changes in the air volume. And it provides the tools you need to design a vented enclosure.

Scope of this tutorial

This is meant to serve as a starting gate for people who like good music in their cars and want to be able to make it better..particularly people who like BASS :...and want the best box possible for their subwoofer(s). It's written to encourage those who have tried to use WinISD in the past and gave up to try again. I will expose the "stumbling blocks" that might have caused some of you to give up on it. I will provide some insights into why the program does what it does, and give some tips on how to use it to your advantage. Links will be included throughout to refer to graphic illustrations or to other sources of information. With help from this guide, a user will learn to correctly input parameters into the program, get past the stumbling blocks, and understand the program's results.

I'm a strong believer in reading Help files and encourage all readers to use the Help section contained in WinISD. Everything I say here is contained there, too, but my experience has shown that a surprisingly large percentage of users don't refer to the Help file to find answers. Some of it could be that they don't understand the program's author, who is Swedish, and his mastery of the English language. And some of it could be that the answer they are looking for is in a different section from where they are searching. But I'll tell you this now: if you don't refer to Help as you are becoming familiar with working in WinISD, this guide will not help you successfully complete your design. You may only have to look up a handful of things, but look there first before asking someone to look it up for you.

It should be known to you by now, if you are a reader of this forum, that the enclosure plays a major role in how your bass sounds. In fact, it is widely regarded as THE most critical part of your subwoofer system. If more enthusiasts got involved in that one extra step in building their sound systems...designing the perfect enclosure...the passion for car audio would reach new heights. This tutorial, and WinISD itself, goes no further than the design of the airspace in the box, and if vented, includes the design of the port. Shape or dimensions of the box are not considered, nor is it known if the woofer will be used in a car, apartment, boat or elsewhere. It is simply (but not so simply!) a tool to see what changes in airspace does. This guide will not cover all the tools contained in the program but I'll clarify or point out the main ones you'll use. It is not a step-by-step approach, but you'll be stepping along just fine if you get off on the right foot.

This tutorial is arranged in sections with titles in bold print down the left column. The sections are, in order from this point:

What you need
Working with WinISD

Old 08-15-2006, 05:09 PM
98BlackBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks alot guys for the help i will let you know how it goes when i build it which should be soon hopefuly

Old 08-15-2006, 05:55 PM

geez X, thats a lot. but i love that program and use it all the time. i designed a box last night for my new system that rates at about 40 db higher than my last one was estimated at. 8D

Old 08-15-2006, 06:10 PM
BF Veteran

ORIGINAL: boomtruck97

geez X, thats a lot. but i love that program and use it all the time. i designed a box last night for my new system that rates at about 40 db higher than my last one was estimated at. 8D
I got hook-ups everywhere man

Old 08-15-2006, 06:24 PM

not that many hook ups. i got a the12volt.com install bay login, i've had WinISD since early betas. but its all good though - its good to help one another.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:31 PM
BF Veteran

i got WinISD, Bass Box pro 6, Sketchup

If i were to put up all the write-ups I know. This section would be OOOOWWWNNNNNEEEEDDDDD lol

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Old 08-15-2006, 06:42 PM

i dont think owned is the right word, but still. that is a lot of writeups. especially the ones that do all the box types.

Quick Reply: Ported boxes