Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

power wire question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 07:49 PM
alpinejimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default power wire question

I drive a 98 2 door jimmy, and was wondering if i can use the power wire from my previous ride, an 88 z24. i just measured it and its 13 1/2 feet including the fuse. will i be able to use it in my jimmy, i want to put the amp in the cargo area but not sure where to exactly, also it would be nice to have a couple extra feet. i think my rca is like 20 or 22 feet.

Old 12-11-2005, 07:54 PM
FatRyan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: power wire question

thats a tough one. i dont know how much wire i used, lol. but you could always just try running it, and if you come up short, buy a few more feet and solder them together

Old 12-11-2005, 11:13 PM
2000ZR2 is an unknown quantity at this point

i say just scrap the wire and just buy a stronger guage wire just so you have one solid wire for better connection/ resistance and the strong wire just to have a better flowing electrical system but i dont think 13.5 ft is going to cut it cavaliers ar alot smaller then jimmys

Old 12-12-2005, 12:39 AM

ORIGINAL: 2000ZR2

i say just scrap the wire and just buy a stronger guage wire just so you have one solid wire for better connection/ resistance and the strong wire just to have a better flowing electrical system but i dont think 13.5 ft is going to cut it cavaliers ar alot smaller then jimmys
if hes trying not to spend money, a good solder job would work just the same

Old 12-12-2005, 10:49 PM

this is true if your trying to save money go to etronics.com a full poweracoustik 4 ga wiring kit for 20 bucks

Old 12-13-2005, 04:19 AM

sounds like a good price to me

Old 12-14-2005, 02:26 PM
alpinejimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

yes i could fork over the cash for some nice 0 gauge, but i cant buy over the net and would prolly end up costing $60+. im only running 600 rms to my type r's with lightning audio 4 gauge. im just gonna add a foot from the battery to the fuse, hopefully 15 feet will be suffice.
someone told me it's a bad idea to solder cable in the middle, says thats how fires start.

so ya'll think 15 feet is enough?

Old 12-14-2005, 06:57 PM

if its done wrong and left open it may but if its a good job no and if you put heat shrink on it and protect it with some electrical tape it will be fine but they also just use the fuse as a connect between the 2 wires just some thought to roll around with

Old 12-14-2005, 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: 2000ZR2

if its done wrong and left open it may but if its a good job no and if you put heat shrink on it and protect it with some electrical tape it will be fine but they also just use the fuse as a connect between the 2 wires just some thought to roll around with
agreed, except for using a fuse to connect wires. you should always use 1 fuse in your power wire, but current doesnt travel through fuses as well as straight wire, so it would be a bad idea to put another fuse in if you dont have to. i believe some companies actually make connectors to connect to pieces of wire together. id see if stinger's got 1, they make everything, lol

Old 12-15-2005, 01:24 AM

thats what i ment to go from the battery to fuse to the piece that they already have. Sorry about that just to have one fuse in there but to connect the one foot piece to the one he has thats my fault i didnt go into detail there

Quick Reply: power wire question