Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Probs with rebuilt HO alternator

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Starting Member
Numba1Sean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Probs with rebuilt HO alternator

Well i hit the brakes the voltage drops, turn lights on and it drops, basically anything that i turn on in the blazer makes the voltage drop and sometimes/most of the time to around 11 or lower. i mean what could be doing this. the guy wanted to boost my idle up alot and i told him no cuz i dont want it reving up like that, then he said a smaller pulley might help. another person i know has no probs with his from the same guy. and he has the stock pulley and regular idle. another question could my belt tensioner be doing this, since i dont need a tool to move it to take the belt off, i can do it one handed. let me know what you guys think before my truck dies on me or something.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:17 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Probs with rebuilt HO alternator

Are all the connections to the alternator and all your grounds connected well without corrosion. It sounds like you arent getting enough amperage out of that. Have you tried to rev up and try accessories. There is a chance that the alternator is bad.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Starting Member

all my connections are good for the big 3, and when i rev it up it stays where it suppose to until i let off the gas and idle there. granted this is with the stereo system off too. do you think a smaller pulley would work cuz he put the stock pulley back. im not sure if the high output are suppose to have a stock pulley or a smaller one. OH AND BY THE WAY, it was just rebuilt a couple days ago. im open for suggestions mean while i will tell the guy to get me a smaller pulley so i have it just in case thats what i should do.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:00 PM
punxweb is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can move your belt tesioner with one hand, it is junk. There is a socket hole on those things to get more leverage to turn them. They are not suppossed to be that sloppy.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:52 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

First what brand of alt is it, I know powermaster has been having problems.
Is is just a rewind or a true higher amp alt?
What size wire did you use for your big three?
You sure the belt is not slipping?

The smaller pulley will spin it faster at idle but also can spin it too fast at speed. Thats not always the correct fix but too often the one given. If its a rewind its pretty common for them to fall flat at lower RPMs but also run a higher risk of over spinning with a smaller pulley.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:38 PM
Starting Member

i know the powermaster problem lol. i had it done at a local shop thats been doing it for awhile, so i guess a rewind even though he orders all his parts go figure. i used 4 guage for the big 3, but i have 0 guage waiting to go in. i changed my tensioner and put a new belt yesterday < had to be done. i just got through talking to the iraggi guy and they/he said that they use 2 inch pulleys on all there alternators. i guess the stock one is 2 and 3/8. IDK man im up for suggestions on this problem.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

My alternator ouput suddenly dropped to 10 volts on the freeway and would not budge no matter what RPM the engine was turning. I was prepared to buy a rebuilt alternor from NAPA when I decided to check the wiring first.Whenchecking the wiring, Inoticed the internal regulator connector on the alternator was blown off by the fan afterI drovefive or six miles at90 MPH.

I am tellng you that because before I found the loose wire, I priced a remanufactured 105 AMPalternator from NAPA. NAPA Premium alternator: 105 AMP, w/6-grrove pulley,part number RAY134534F...$105.00 minus $60.00 for your core. That rebuilt alternator exceeds the original equipment by using larger 10MM bearings, a HD rectifier , 50 AMP diodes and more improvements.

The loose regulator wire is not your problembecause your voltage varies with engine speed but theinternal regulator in your alternator may bebad, or more likely, one or more diodes are bad.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Starting Member

idk my smaller pulley should be here tommorow hopefully that helps out with this BS or im having the guy put it back to stock and getting my money back. im just tired of this already.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:53 AM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

If thesmaller pulley works it is just a band-aid for the problemwith the alternator. You can get a remanufacturedbetter than stock alternator for $105.00 that puts out 105 amps with astockpulley.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:28 PM
Starting Member

well i talked to dom iraggi and the EA guys and they said they use 2 inch pulleys with there high output alternators. so im assuming thats my problem. oh and the new belt tensioner what a joke that thing is and its already stuck, its like the spring has no push back.

Quick Reply: Probs with rebuilt HO alternator