Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Protection happy

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 06:10 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Protection happy

Well today my 1500D wants to be protection happy, after 2 weeks+ of running flawlessly.

its only running at 2ohms and she got fairly toasty......1st time it went into protection, I just shut it off and turned it back on.....and it worked. 2nd time it wouldnt.......so i shut everything off except my a/c to try cool it down.......and still, nothing.......when I turned it on it would go <protect/power/protect> quickly and stay in protection.

1 thing i did think of tho was the inline fuse......which I never changed when I swapped the amps......maybe its like an 80 amp fuse or something........never had problems with it.

I let everything sit for a good 20 minutes, and still nothing.......low voltage wouldnt make it go into protect would it? like my voltage was just under the 14 volt line, which shouldnt be a problem....right?

this amp was tested at .35 ohms......and now it fudged at a mere 2....

uuggh......this sucks.......maybe I should just take it to an electrical repair place.........

Old 08-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Protection happy

what size power and ground are ya using??

Old 08-03-2007, 10:06 PM
BF Veteran

4 gauge.

the owner of sundown said to put a piece of duct tape (red green style) over top the transformers. of course not right on them.....but the bottom metal piece might be touching them. I just now opend her up and nothing looks fried or smells bad, luckily.

although im not too sure what a transformer is.......is it the gonge of wires that go in a circle? they're like gold and red colored.......

also he said I need at least a 100amp fuse.....I was previously running a 60 amp agu fuse.......which I just blew! trying to fix it

I went to 7, yes 7! different places this evening and no1 has 1!
the largest i could find was an 80 amp. does a small fuse contribute to the amp heating up/going into protection? cuz if the 80 will do for now I can get some at canadian tire......

I also fiddled with the ground, which is bolted under the rear seat.....no deal.....checked all 4 40 amp fuses on the amp, which are good.

oh, does a bigger fuse(in my case) make the amp more effecient per say? mr.sundown said something like that.......

uggh, I took a pic I'll post later tonight......I have to try the duct tape dealy

its weird, I ran the alpine for 2 years without a single problem

luckily my amp is still under warranty.....so if I have to I can send it back to him........incredible customer service with those guys.

check out www.soundsolutionsaudio.com great guys over there.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Might be worth a shot to take a DMM to the coils of the subs. Maybe with the extra power you finally did them in.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:44 PM
BF Veteran

when it went into protection i wasent pushin em very hard.......

Old 08-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Have you disconnected the subs and see if the amp still does it?

Old 08-04-2007, 01:50 AM
BF Veteran

havent, no.....

Old 08-04-2007, 07:25 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

yes, a smaller fuse will increase heat and strain on the amp. think of a hose to transport water, and then think of trying to transport that same volume of water through a straw. lots harder with the straw huh?

Old 08-04-2007, 09:39 AM
eshballa5 is an unknown quantity at this point

if you disconnect the subs and the amp doesn't do it anymore, then you know you have too low of an impedance connected to the amp. Meaning that the amp can't handle a two ohm load.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Starting Member
NoPh33rRaCiNg is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: eshballa5

if you disconnect the subs and the amp doesn't do it anymore, then you know you have too low of an impedance connected to the amp. Meaning that the amp can't handle a two ohm load.
yea ^^ but im pretty sure that amp can handle 2 ohms lol

Quick Reply: Protection happy