Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Putting subs in an 86 K5..who has'em?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 08:42 AM
Beginning Member
TexasRider is on a distinguished road
Default Putting subs in an 86 K5..who has'em?

Well...Im thinking on putting a complete system in the truck...the one that was in it when I bought it is a POS haha. Im a little stumped on what to do with subs...either go with one 12..or 2 10s. I dont want to 'drown' out the mids and highs/vocals completely...(im looking at using 4 6x9 3 ways..one in each front door, then the other 2 mid way back on either side) I listen to alot of country and hip hop beats, rock, mellow ****..just about anything lol. I dont want people 3 blocks away hearing me 'bass' but at a light or jus driving down the road..if the car next to me can hear me...im good hah! Any suggestions then on one bigger sub or 2 smallers? The subs and 6x9s will have their own amps

Old 05-25-2013, 11:12 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

I'm not a real big fan of using a bunch of 6x9's, but to each his own. However, putting amps on everything will definitely get you much cleaner output and just about all the output you could want.

As for the subs, a pair of 10's has the potential for a little more output over a single 12 unless your budget would work better for a good single 12 over a pair of sub-par 10's. What kind of budget are you looking at for this setup? That will determine the kinds of products that can be recommended. A pair of 10's in a nicely designed ported enclosure will do very nicely though.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:34 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
I'm not a real big fan of using a bunch of 6x9's, but to each his own. However, putting amps on everything will definitely get you much cleaner output and just about all the output you could want.

As for the subs, a pair of 10's has the potential for a little more output over a single 12 unless your budget would work better for a good single 12 over a pair of sub-par 10's. What kind of budget are you looking at for this setup? That will determine the kinds of products that can be recommended. A pair of 10's in a nicely designed ported enclosure will do very nicely though.
In your opinion whats wrong with 6x9s? 4 of them too many? They would only be for the mids/highs...the subs will be for bass only. Ive been 'told' the less I spend on this system the better...lol (like stay under 700 told lol) Yea I know...not much for as far as 'quality' equipment goes...it is what it is. I was looking at 6x9 3 ways 'assuming' I could get better vocals out..and not have them drowned out by the subs. I guess I could even do 6in 3 ways and have the same effect. A buddy of mine did recommend 2 10s instead of a single 12 and knows a few ppl selling off some of their 'leftover' subs.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:54 PM

Call my distaste for 6x9's a personal issue, lol. For what you're doing they will probably serve you fine though. $700 is a pretty fair budget to work with though and I could definitely toss you up some recommendations that will fit that budget pretty easily. You've not mentioned a HU yet, do you have one you like already or do you need to get the HU in that $700 as well?

Old 05-26-2013, 06:32 AM
Beginning Member

Call my distaste for 6x9's a personal issue, lol. For what you're doing they will probably serve you fine though. $700 is a pretty fair budget to work with though and I could definitely toss you up some recommendations that will fit that budget pretty easily. You've not mentioned a HU yet, do you have one you like already or do you need to get the HU in that $700 as well?
Ahhh lol got it. I probable will look into 6.5in rounds since they would be easier to put in the door anyway ha! Yea that 700 includes the HU and this is what im looking at, has some pretty good reviews.
Tune Tray Car Stereo | Digital Media Receiver | DSX-S310BTX | Sony USA
No...im not payin that price though lol. I found it at other online places for much much less.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:16 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

Did you take into account an amplifier for the sub in your budget? I am also not a very big fan of 6x9s. They sound sloppy to me honestly. A decent set of 6.5" components will do the trick.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:54 AM

^^^ My feelings exactly about the 6x9's. I also agree with a well installed pair of decent components your needs will be met quite easily.

What is the price you're planning to pay for that HU? We need to know so we know how much budget you have left to work with and can then make recommendations based on that amount.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:29 AM

Here's a quick rundown on some equipment I would recommend. First off I did the recommendations by assuming you can get that Sony for at least the same price as a Clarion CZ702, about $160. They're very similar HU's as far as functionality is concerned and if the Sony is more expensive you might take a close look at the Clarion. For the amps I would recommend a PPI S200.2 ($70) to run a pair of Alpine Type R 6.5" components ($155) and an MTX TD500.1D ($110) to run the subs.

As far as the subs go I would highly recommend something like the Incriminator Audio I series 10's ($99 ea.), or the Sundown Audio E series ($105).

I looked up the HU, amps and components at Sonicelectronix so you can reference the pricing and the subs at SoundSolutionsAudio.com so you can reference the pricing on them there. Doesn't mean you can't go find cheaper prices elsewhere, it's just so you know where I got my prices from.

That's $705, not including any shipping (if there is any on any of those items) if you went with the Sundowns. I would HIGHLY suggest you build your own enclosure. I can help you with the design if you like and simple tools and patience would be all you need to construct it.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:51 PM
Beginning Member

Here's a quick rundown on some equipment I would recommend. First off I did the recommendations by assuming you can get that Sony for at least the same price as a Clarion CZ702, about $160. They're very similar HU's as far as functionality is concerned and if the Sony is more expensive you might take a close look at the Clarion. For the amps I would recommend a PPI S200.2 ($70) to run a pair of Alpine Type R 6.5" components ($155) and an MTX TD500.1D ($110) to run the subs.

As far as the subs go I would highly recommend something like the Incriminator Audio I series 10's ($99 ea.), or the Sundown Audio E series ($105).

I looked up the HU, amps and components at Sonicelectronix so you can reference the pricing and the subs at SoundSolutionsAudio.com so you can reference the pricing on them there. Doesn't mean you can't go find cheaper prices elsewhere, it's just so you know where I got my prices from.

That's $705, not including any shipping (if there is any on any of those items) if you went with the Sundowns. I would HIGHLY suggest you build your own enclosure. I can help you with the design if you like and simple tools and patience would be all you need to construct it.
I found that HU on ebay brand new in box for 139 shipped. Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions on everything. I will check all that out tomorrow when im a lil more awake lol!! A buddy of mine said he can build the sub box for me, or at least supervise ha! I was going to to use 2 sets of the 6.5 components..you think 1 mounted in the doors will do the trick?

Old 05-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by jagblazer01
Did you take into account an amplifier for the sub in your budget? I am also not a very big fan of 6x9s. They sound sloppy to me honestly. A decent set of 6.5" components will do the trick.
Yessir...I was planning/figuring an amp for the subs and a separate amp for the 6.5s

Quick Reply: Putting subs in an 86 K5..who has'em?