Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Radio Buzz

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:34 PM
GABlazer92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Radio Buzz

I've had a buzzing sound coming from my radio for the whole time i've had my truck (4 months) and i can't figure out what it is. I've taken apart my dash and looked to see if the antenne connection was loose, but it wasn't. My dad said it is probably the radio unit itself and to fix the problem is to buy a new radio. I'm hopefully gonna put in my mom's old aftermarket radio in this weekend and drive around to see if it is the stock radio that is the problem. I just wanted to ask you guys before i put the new radioand see if it is the stock radio that is doing that.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:13 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Radio Buzz

Well it very well could be a failed transistor in the stock radio. It could also be something in the antenna system. I would try replacing the stock radio for starters. If the noise varies with engine rpm I would say there is something wrong in your wiring. Could be a loose ground, some wire shielding that has gone bad but these are some worse case scenarios, my guess is a transistor or capacitor has gone bad in the stock headunit. Keep us posted.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:27 PM
riceh8r0512 is an unknown quantity at this point

This can also be caused by your alternator it is with engine speed, the cause being a bad diode.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:30 AM
c0a8l0v6i8n9 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: riceh8r0512

This can also be caused by your alternator it is with engine speed, the cause being a bad diode.
yea this could be a cause does the buzzing increase as you give it some gas?

Old 04-26-2008, 08:54 AM

Yea it getslouder when i speed up. I also have any fm transmitter for my ipod and when i listen to that, it makes a constant and louder buzzing sound. I am planning on getting a new radio anyway, so i don't want to spend money on a radio and it still make that sound.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:44 PM
riceh8r0512 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sound to me like it is your alternator. I would try that before spending the money on a new radio, just to have it plagued with the buzzing noise.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:30 PM

I got the radio installed today at Circuit City today and the buzzing went away. I was really nervous when I got there and bought it because they would of put it in (I got free instal because they have a deal there) and they would call me over to my truck and say: Sir, there is a really loud buzzing sound coming from thenew radio. But they didn't. The radio is a Sony Xplod CDX-GT420IP. It has alot of stuff like AUX front input, iPod connector, and wireless remote. It is extremely nice. Here is a link to it on Sony's site: Radio

Old 04-27-2008, 04:24 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Congrats, I am glad the noise has cone away. Like I thought, it must have been a worn out component in the stock radio (transistor, capacitor, diode, etc.). Once something like that goes out it is very had to find and even harder to fix (since surface mount components are so small and hard to solder).

Old 04-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

glad you got it straightened out cause mine is still giving me problems

Old 04-29-2008, 03:30 PM

Well that isn't all of this hole fiasco. Sounds a little strang but: On the way home from Curcuit City (Sunday)the radio was fine, but later I had to run an errand and the radio still makes thebuzzing sound. So on Monday I went back to Curcuit City after school and told them it makes that sound and they looked at it and said the antenne wasa littleloose. So they tightened it and I got in the truck and the radio was fine for about a minute, then it made the buzzing sound again. So I really don't know exactly what is causing the sound execpt that it isn't the radio itself. Also one thing I forgot to mention in the first postis that it only buzzes when the engine is running. Not sure if that helps or not, but it is worth telling you guys.

Quick Reply: Radio Buzz