Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Radio cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 10:18 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Radio cutting out

Worked fine the day before. Went out one morning on my way to work and I turned it up a little bit. Heard a bunch of crackling everytime the music hit a high note, and then it would cut out if I turned it up any louder. But when it cuts out and I turn it up all the way I can kind of hear the music with the crackling sound. And it will do that again when I shut it off and turn it back on. I took the radio out and everything is still connected and look good. Any ideas? It is the stock radio btw.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:37 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I'm not an expert on stereo systems but you might make sure your cable going to the antenna is still connected good.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:42 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

im guessing its an after market head unit?
How old is it?
are your speakers powered by an amp?
Does all sound cut out, or just your subs?
if your speakers are wired to the head unit, how are they wired?
How many speakers are you powering off the head unit (if applicable)?

Old 06-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Starting Member
DRErb59 is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same exact issue with my stereo also. I installed the head unit and speakers a couple weeks ago now, with my accessory wire tied into the truck's switched 12v lead, and the battery connect tied into the 12v constant feed. I didn't have any crackling, but the whole unit would just shut off everytime I turned up the volume. I did some diagnosing and found that if i tied the unit's accessory lead to the switched 12v lead on the truck, sound was perfect but the unit will reset everytime I turn off the truck or open the doors or turn on the interior lights (because the truck's 12v switched lead is tied into the unit's battery connect). I'm out of ideas unless someone else out there has any ideas. I don't really want to spend anymore money until I know of a sound solution. My only idea is that the alternator isn't putting out enough power to handle the watts that the new unit demands.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:01 AM

I have the stock radio. I sold my head unit and subs. So it's just the stock radio powering some Pyle door speakers. The antenna is still plugged in fine. The radio doesn't shut off, the sound just cuts out and stops. But there is still power to the radio.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:18 AM

Oh I thought you meant when listening to the radio. Now I understand your talking about the whole head unit cutting out. I'm wondering if there is a problem with your 12V constant or something to do with the wiring to your speakers.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:47 AM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like a loose wire. Possibly even inside the radio itself. make sure the ground is good and solid.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:16 PM

Alright well I just installed an aftermarket Jensen head unit. The crackling still occurs at medium volume. I'm betting on the ground wire. I'm thinking now if I cut the grown wire from the truck harness and reground it somewhere else it may work. Sound right to anyone?

Old 06-17-2010, 01:30 AM

Yeah, I would say give it a shot. If the wire was rusted our or something it wouldn't ground right.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:45 AM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, alot of cd players reccomend grounding to the chassis of the headunit or in another location instead of through the wiring harness.

Quick Reply: Radio cutting out