Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Rear speakers not working, where is the amp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Beginning Member
bluiewest1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Rear speakers not working, where is the amp?

98 Chevy Blazer 4door, LT package. Came from the factory with the Delco AM/FM radio/single CD in the dash, cassette player in the console, sound system. There are six speakers, one in each corner of the dash, one in each front door, and one in each rear door.

There is a small fade **** on face of radio that allows adjustment of sound from front to rear. When I turn the **** from the detent (center) counter-clockwise, the sound "fades" out and by the time it reaches the stop, there is no sound.

Turn the **** clockwise and the sound comes back and works OK through the full clockwise rotation of the ****.

Previously, the sound would begin to break up or crackle are the fade **** was rotated counter-clockwise.

An auto radio repair shop that I contacted via the internet said the there is a separate amplifier for the rear speakers and that it probably had begun to fail and then had quit working entirely.

Problem is they didn't say where the amplifier for the rear speakers is located!

Anyone have any suggestions of where to look?

Old 12-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you have the Bose system (which it doesn't sound like), then all of your speakers are run directly off the deck in the dash (i.e. no additional amplifiers). If that is the case, then your rear speakers are likely blown. It happens. You could test by removing the rear door panels and hooking up a different speaker to the wiring and see if it works.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:17 PM
ve3nsv is on a distinguished road

When I bought my 99 Jimmy both rear speakers and one of the front dash speakers were blown. I just pulled the rear door panel and tested the speakers leads with a known good speaker to confirm my suspicions and then replaced them.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:18 AM
Starting Member
taba5 is on a distinguished road

the right rear speaker in my 97 was blown when the truck was purchased, replace and upgrade was needed

in my 98 which still has the factory radio, the fade **** is iffy, it has been my theory that the radio itself is faulty and not the speakers since when all the settings are centered all speakers work ok, when you start fiddling with the fader is when the sound dissipates from the speakers entirely (when faded to the rear only the left rear works, when faded to the front the non working speaker works ok) the balance works fine though. i think i read somewhere the delco radios are prone to acting goofy

so id say its a toss up, replace the radio and replace the speakers too, neither of my bravadas have Bose equipment so no amp to worry about

Old 12-21-2009, 09:54 AM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by taba5
the right rear speaker in my 97 was blown when the truck was purchased, replace and upgrade was needed

in my 98 which still has the factory radio, the fade **** is iffy, it has been my theory that the radio itself is faulty and not the speakers since when all the settings are centered all speakers work ok, when you start fiddling with the fader is when the sound dissipates from the speakers entirely (when faded to the rear only the left rear works, when faded to the front the non working speaker works ok) the balance works fine though. i think i read somewhere the delco radios are prone to acting goofy

so id say its a toss up, replace the radio and replace the speakers too, neither of my bravadas have Bose equipment so no amp to worry about
My mom's 01 was like that when we bought it until one day, the rears went out, then about a month later, the right front went out. All the speakers worked fine before. I may give her the old deck out of mine to see if it'll help/ I hope it has the same harness, lol.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Starting Member
DSMayo is on a distinguished road

My rear speakers were 'shot' when I bought my rig too, I would fade to the rear and I would loose all sound. I pulled them out to test them and they worked fine when hooked up to any other source. I replaced them with some Alpines and haven't looked back. Although I'm still not sure why they didnt work...

Old 12-24-2009, 03:59 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

My right rear speaker just started not working. I pulled the deck out and checked all wiring even resplicing that rear speaker. Still nothing. Not even a crackle. I thought when they blew they make static. Am I wrong?

Old 12-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Beginning Member
Masta Squidge is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 88s10Blazer
My right rear speaker just started not working. I pulled the deck out and checked all wiring even resplicing that rear speaker. Still nothing. Not even a crackle. I thought when they blew they make static. Am I wrong?
A "blown" speaker doesnt make any noise at all. The coil(s) in a blown one melt (or the glue/coating does) and it ceases to function entirely.

One that is producing alot of scratchy/static sounds is probably physically damaged. Meaning the coil is scraping inside the motor, surrond is torn... could be anything, but the end result is a damaged speaker either way.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:13 AM
Starting Member
Scottyboland is on a distinguished road

Your Speakers Arent Blown, i found this out by tinkering, i was playing a burnt cd (from my pc) and noticed i got no sound, but the second i put in a store bought cd, my bravadas speakers suddenly made music again, the result, either the cd's missing a layer of audio, or the rear speakers are passive, and not fully active 100% of the time, i hope this has helped

Old 05-02-2010, 09:29 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

I always test speakers in two ways. Unless it's a VERY high end subwoofer, if the cone won't move at all or very difficult, you have a problem. If you connect a 9 volt battery to the speaker terminals and the cone doesn't move, it is bad.

A crackle noise or sound cutting in and out with the bass notes could mean that the voice coils are bad like stated above. Or the tinsel leads that run between the speaker terminals to the cone could be loose.

Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Rear speakers not working, where is the amp?