Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Recommend me an alternator for my setup (1,400 rms watts)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 01:16 AM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

a lot of the HO alternators i've seen put out a little over 50% of full power at idle which isn't bad to say the least.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:58 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

the website for mine says 90 amps at idle out of a 200amp, so close to 50% you could always put a smaller pulley on it. and still my saz1500d has no problem hitting 12volts at idle

works good while driving tho, and i do notice a BIG difference from a cold alternator to a hot one, getting a larger than stock casing on a h.o alt is probably a good idea.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:29 AM
Starting Member
ExplicitYourSelf is on a distinguished road

I'm finally going to do this swap if the rain doesn't stop me. Had other priorities before spending money on this alternator, so i called my local auto parts "Auto Zone" the employee told me that they had 3 different types of alternators for a 2005 chevrolet suburban 2500 2wd 6.0l. the alternators from this car happen to fit on my 2001 blazer 4.3l 2wd with no modification besided a "longer" belt, correct? ok, so the 3 differant types of alternaors were a 140a, 145a, and a 160a alternator. The 160 happens to be 159.99 dollars when the 145a is 168 dollars. I'm not sure if it'd be a smart idea to go with the 160a alternator since i don't know how much amperage it'd put out at idle. does anyone happen to know? I'm running about 1,400-1,500 rms watts on just my car audio goodies and i was thinking of going with the 160a since i'd have more power... input anyone? thanks.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:56 AM
Starting Member

This is a daily by the way =)

Old 03-27-2011, 10:07 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

more the better? those are pretty good prices. i paid like $400 for my 200amp

Old 03-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Starting Member

I figured they were good prices since i've seen these suckers price high. These also come with a lifetime warranty. =)

Old 03-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Starting Member
nineTnine is on a distinguished road

In my opinion (and that of my mechanic) do not get the lifetime warranty one. I'm pretty sure it is a remanufactured one and they are garbage. I put on a reman stock one and am on my third one in about a year and it still doesn't work right but they wont replace it even though they know its bad. I want a bigger Diehard deep cycle battery or a bigger alternator just so it can keep up on a stock vehicle. I should've just bought a new one. Maybe you could have yours rebuilt how you want it? I was given that idea by a friend who did it to his Camaro

Old 03-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Starting Member

Hmm... The alternator is remanufactured, I'm surrounded by 4 Auto zone's and none of them give me problems when it comes to warranty replacement. I've never rebuilt a alternaotr nor i know where i can gen get it rebuilt... Doesn't the 145a and 160a alternators come with a "big casing"?

Old 03-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Starting Member
nineTnine is on a distinguished road

That was just my experience with them and what I was told when I took my truck in to have the charging system checked. O'reilly told me the regulator was bad in my current alternator and the battery was on its way out, so I took it off and went through a lot of trouble to get to O'reilly's only for them to tell me, with both of them off the vehicle, that they were fine. Bought a new battery and it still isn't right. Maybe I'm just very unlucky

Old 03-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Starting Member

Are you still having problems with your alternator? what car is this for?

Quick Reply: Recommend me an alternator for my setup (1,400 rms watts)