Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Recommend a New CD Player!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Benado is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recommend a New CD Player!

I have a '97 Olds Bravada and I'm pretty sure the stock cd player does not work properly. I'm only getting sound out of one speaker. Anyway, my inentions are to put in a whole new system. I want to start with a cd player, then move on to replacing the speakers. Since I'm new at this, any advice or recomendations would be greatly appreciated. I would like to spend less than $150 (I'm not looking for heart pounding bass, just a nice, clear sound) on the cd player. It doesn't have to be XM or Serious-ready and I don't need it to adapt to my Ipod. It just needs to play AM and FM radio and cd's. Any suggestions?

Also, if you're bored, you can make some suggestions as to speakers. I have an amp (it's a few years old and I don't know the specifics off the top of my head) that I would like to use to power at least two of the door speakers, but if I can make it do all four door speakers that would be ideal. Then, I'd just let the head unit power the dashboard tweeters.

One last thing, any tips on removal of the old equipment and installation of the new would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Recommend a New CD Player!

you will need a few parts. these are all metra part numbers 70-1858 (wiring) 40GM-10 (antenna adaptor) and a dash kit 99-3043, 99-3044. The kit i like the best is a scosche one GM1515

Look on crutchfield.com at Pioneer, JVC, Alpine. if you order fom them, you will get the parts for free i think.

No fancy detailed removal with pictures, but later today I will post up the steps. Not too hard. Do you have column shift or floor shift???

Old 05-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Benado is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a floor shift. BTW, thanks for the quick reply. I'm leaning towards this: Pioneer DEH-P3900M. Is this a good one? How much modification will it require?

Old 05-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Administrator

great cd player. all you will have to do is snap off a small peice of plastic behind the dash. I have a 97 blazer floor shift, so im quite familiar with the truck

Old 05-04-2007, 10:59 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=16654

swweeeeet!!

this is the one I plan on buying........

Old 05-04-2007, 11:05 AM
03blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: blazinloud

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=16654

swweeeeet!!

this is the one I plan on buying........
Thats a very nice cd player. I have it in my Truck.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:45 AM
Administrator

For the removal:

two 7mm screws above the cluster.
unclip the dash bezel, the whole thing. if you have 4wd, pop out the switch, and disconnest the wiring.
On drivers side, pull dash bezel out away from the dash and unplug the 4 or 5 harnesses. unclip the dash bezel completely. Drop steering colum as far as it will go. pull the top part of the dash above the cluster towards rear of truck to get back edge of bezel free. CAREFULLY, flex piece of dash over the hazard switch. pull the bezel out completely.

4 screws holding climate controls in, 4 screws holding radio in. push the climate controls off to the side.
pull out radio and pocket assembly. remove two 10mm nuts from sides of radio to free pocket assembly, and one in the rear.

Mount the pocket to the new dash kit using supplied 10mm nuts and carriage bolts. mount the cage from the radio into the new dash kit. set aside. In dash cavity, there is an eyelet of black plastic that runs all the way to side of radio cavity. snap that off for clearance for new radio!

Use the pruchased wiring harness and connect to harness of new radio. make sure all connections are secure, using butt splices, crimp caps, or soldering. DO NOT JUST USE TAPE!

grab antenna adaptor and plug onto factory antenna wire, plug in the wiring harness. feed the harness and antenna through opening on newly created dash kit(hole in the cage) and mount the dash kit into the dash with said 4 screws. mount climate controls back in. put dash bezel back on, connecting all harnesses. put the two screws back in above the cluster. take the harness and antenna adaptor and plug them in. push radio into opening and viola!!