Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

recording from backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 07:36 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough
Default recording from backup camera

Im thinking about getting one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT I want to mount it somewhere in the front of my truck so i can record when i go out on the trails. What do i have to do to be able to record from this

Old 08-17-2009, 06:53 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

um, only thing I can think of is a car-pc with a large hard drive.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:38 PM

would hooking it up to my laptop work.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:24 PM
mindy-lynn is on a distinguished road

Just to give you a quick heads-up, it only has 628582 pixels, which isn't even 1 Mega-pixel. Video quality will be EXTREMELY ****ty. Just letting you know.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:52 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mindy-lynn
Just to give you a quick heads-up, it only has 628582 pixels, which isn't even 1 Mega-pixel. Video quality will be EXTREMELY ****ty. Just letting you know.
Good catch...the quality wouldn't be worth the video at all.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:06 PM

oh damn. does anyone know of any thing like this that is small. I found a mount for my digital camera but its kinda big

Old 08-18-2009, 03:18 AM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

it doesnt actually have (pal)628582 pixels nor does it have the correct (ntsc)510492 pixels. i have one of these cameras, if you ask me 40$(what i paid, however mine is wireless) is a good price for a camera your going to smash off the front of your truck anyways.

now for some actuall stats:

these cameras are composite, what that means is that it outputs in lines of resolution as oposed to megapixels. this camera is VHS quality and yes its an analog camera (any cheap backup cams will be analog) so you will need a capture card for your laptop. these come as either USB devices, pcmcia cards or expresscards. EDIT: also comes in firewire wich i think is the best for capturing. you need an analog capture card. id sugest looking around over at geeks.com, theye are a great place for stuff like this.

i have been working on this setup myself, anyways...

your alternative is to get a high quality digital webcam and build it some kinda waterproofing/brush guard.

so i say hell yah get that cheap cam, get a cheap analog capture card, and get rollin!

oh yah and there is a really cool GPS directshow filter that will overlay your gps info on the video stream so u can record WHERE YOUR AT too!

NVANZEE pm me if you want and maybe we can have a phone convo if need be, lol I know lots about setting up this sorta thing

EDIT: so i was just thinking, maybe so our setups are difrent ill use two cams and a 3D filter so my trail vids will be in 3d! now that would be cool! mu-haha

UPDATE: here is the same cam spec wise at geeks here and here is a cheap capture device here

Last edited by Ugly_Monkey; 08-18-2009 at 04:35 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:25 PM

Ok, so I have been playing with the setup, and all works pretty well. If you go over to mp3car there is a nice little app called xport. What it does is take in your gps data and virtualize it to multiple ports. This allows you to use multiple gps apps at once.
of the utilities offered with xport, are two programs. One is a skinnable compass and the other is the directshow overlay filter. im useing an old intel webcam, and it works fairly well.

im hopefully going on a trip this weekend and will try to get some actuall footage.

here is a link to an example vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUQ8uwHT8EU

Old 08-25-2009, 07:24 PM

Here is actuall footage from my setup using an old webcam (intel cs110, 320x240). The footage has been sped up X8.

I think it would work fine for trails, this footage was shot late in the day as things were starting to get dark.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:34 PM

thats sweet. thats exactly what i want

Quick Reply: recording from backup camera