Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Running power to my amp

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Beginning Member
Menace is on a distinguished road
Default Running power to my amp

So where is everybody running the power cable ot their amps? I mean through the firewall. I can't find a whole to poke the power through the firewall into the cab, is there one or is everybody making one?

Old 05-13-2011, 12:06 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I drilled a hole for mine its easier that way. There is one somewhere near the steering column but I figured that would be too much of a pain

Old 05-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Beginning Member

where did you drill yours?

Old 05-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Beginning Member
Badmonkey32 is on a distinguished road

You have to drill it like under where the pedals are. and then run it under the step plates. make sure that you put a rubber gromet in your hole so that your power wire doesnt get cut in half. oh and use at least 4 guage wire for your system if you go with 8 you will regret it.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:21 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I did mine on the passanger side close to the floor that way its a straight shot to the battery

Old 05-15-2011, 01:11 AM
Starting Member
96jimmyslt4x4 is on a distinguished road

I'm using the stock passenger side grommet right now. Was using the drivers.

There are pre-drilled holes on each side of the 96 and similar.

It would help to know what year you have.

Both sides are easy and take less than 5 minutes to push 4awg through (and I'm sure smaller is easier)

You really just need to push a wire or something through from the INSIDE of the cabin, and then locate that with a flash light, and then hook or tape the wire onto that and pull it through.

The drivers side of a 96 jimmy has a rear-view wiper fluid line to it, but I disabled that since I never used it anyway

The passenger side has some kind of wire. I just left the grommet out since it was out when I looked at it and pushed the wire through with the above method.

I can make a how-to video if you really want/need it. But it's very straight forward and I didn't use any lingo or jargon to explain it - nothing technical or specific about this method.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Beginning Member

I have a 2001 blazer and some pictures of these holes would be a great thing if you don't mind.

If I do have end having to punch a hole is the firewall single or double walled?

Old 05-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Starting Member
96jimmyslt4x4 is on a distinguished road

I took out the rear windshield wiper line since I wasn't using it.

I made the grommet bigger to fit 4awg wire.

On the passenger side, I just left the grommet out and put the 4awg next to it.

As you can see, the metal is very thin.

The "firewall" is this really thin and cheap asbestos looking material that pretty much all fell apart.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:27 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Yeah the passenger side grommet should work. It's the hole/grommet that goes from the antenna to the radio. It's probably about an inch wide and should give you plenty of room to fit the cable through.

It's located on the passenger side towards the top edge of the carpet. If you pull the top right corner of the carpet back it should be easy enough to spot. You may have to remove the plastic triangular kickpanel in front of the door in order to be able to pull the carpet back enough to see. I ran a 4ga and an 8ga wire through there and then underneath the side trim panels all the way to the back.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Beginning Member

For those of you using the antenna grommet on the passenger side, are you not concerned about how close it is to the engine in the engine compartment?

Quick Reply: Running power to my amp