Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Sealed Vs. Ported Box

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 04:08 AM
Litvenenko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sealed Vs. Ported Box

I have an '05 Blazer with two 12 inch audiobahn subs in a sealed box right now, but i have the option to get a custom made ported box made by a local shop worth about 300 dollars for only 60. I have the room to fit the huge ported box in there and my subs are inverted so i was wondering what would be the sound difference and what would be better for bass, i want really good bass but at the same time i dont want to end up with some uncontrolled wild bass that isnt on beat.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:40 AM
Starting Member
lionel2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Sealed Vs. Ported Box

2 12's humm...yeah ported box is the way to go, make sure you get the right air space and add a little more for breathing room for the subs...i personally dont like inverted subs...its just for show...yeah it looks cool but you get more bass with subs mounted the right way...for a blazer i would have a big box with subs facing up and port firing toward the back...thats the way i have it done with my subs and i can hit 148 db all day...my shop did the custom box for me and it works like magic...before i had a sealed box with subs facing the back and it sounded good but i knew a ported sounds better...plus with a sealed my rear view mirror vibrated which i heard was not good...but with my setup now my rear does not vibrate only my side mirrors do....i think it means you are getting some viberations on you body of car and flexing of the body instead of everything rattling inside the car...just what i hear....bottom line is ported subs facing up firing port twd back...with amps mounted on the back and front of box and if you run distro blocks put them on the sides...so easy with this setup...thanks....nice thread.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:02 PM
eshballa5 is an unknown quantity at this point

def what he said ispretty good info

Old 04-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

I currently have a 12" Infinity 1252W Dual Voice sub in a ported box and my rear view mirror vibrates so much that I can barely see people behind me. But I found out that with my subs they are recommended for sealed enclosures and not ported. So if I were you, check with audiobahn to see what they recommened. Even tho if you look on audiobahns website all their subs are in ported boxes.Def ported boxes hit louder. So it all depends on what set up you are looking for.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Mr Blazer LT is an unknown quantity at this point

Audiobahns are better suited for ported (believe me, they got some boom with enough juice).

Old 05-01-2007, 10:56 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

extra breathing room?

and i think inverting a sub would make it louder since the sub would see a bigger volume(box)

and everyone knows a bigger box is louder.......dunno where this guy got his info from........

rearview will shake from the roof flexing.......kinda hard to avoid.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:38 PM

okay so pretty much go with the ported box? thing is you were saying make sure the port faced torwards the back and the subs facing up and not inverted. the way my ported box is, the port is on the same side as the subs so what would you reccommend. also my rearview shakes even with my sealed box right now. and lastly should i have my subs inverted or not? because i was told id get deeper bass from inverted. right now im hitting 124, 125 db

Old 05-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Starting Member
lionel2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah that is true with inverted subs...there is more air space in the box...and yes bigger box is better...mine is 7 cubes when all i needed was like 4.5 cubes...so make sure you get the right size box...thanks.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

You will most likely not get any difference in bass response from inverting your subs. If you go too big on your box, you can destroy your subs. Use a nice program like bass box pro, or winIsd to calculate your box size.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:11 PM

well i already bought this box but i could sell it if its not going to work together, its pretty huge it fills up my whole back behind my seats and the height pretty much matches the top of my back headrests so its pretty big, so i was wonderin do i keep the subs with the port facing up (they are on same side of box) and is this even good this big of a box how will the result be, my subs are 550 watts each if that helps, i thought it be cool the have them inverted since i have the chrome flame design on em too.

Quick Reply: Sealed Vs. Ported Box