Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Sexy tweeter install

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 12:22 AM
Beginning Member
dwhittaker is on a distinguished road
Smile Sexy tweeter install

I didn't want to kill the sound of my new type r tweeters by putting the in the same place as the old ones, they have their own mesh, so double mesh isn't cutting it. so i ripped out the old ones, just snipped the wires. threw them away... grabbed the dash speaker grilles and a dremel and went to work. this is what i got for both of them, damn do they look sexy. haha

~~~~This is all part of a full upgrade i'm doing. ripping out the stock components, putting Alpine type r 6.5" components in the front, coaxials in the rear doors, tearing apart the rear storage area to dynamat to make my 132 dbs go to 136dbs. using a Rockford p300-2 wired in series for my components, and an alpine m1000 for the 12" type r's i've been running at half RMS for way too long.~~~~ YEAH, hitting 130s will 500 watts split between two type r's in a custom box, it'll break your leg when i get the 1000

Old 01-22-2011, 09:16 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

what coils are your woofers? Hopefully they are D2s b/c if they arent your kinda screwed. That amp is only 2 ohm stable. 136 isnt really that loud. Make a better box and adjust the tuning some and you can probably do a 141-142 all day long on 1k.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:40 PM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you like thos type R components up front? I've been considering em for awhile.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:15 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate to burst your bubble, but that is definitely not a sexy install. Nice attempt. What you should have done was made a plate to mount them to underneath the stock grill. The tweeter grill comes off. You dont have to use it.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:53 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

doesn't make much sense to cut the thing that normally covers what you are trying to install... when it was perfectly fine to just drop the new ones in

Old 01-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Beginning Member

yeah dual 2s. I'm not ignorant. I know wiring...

Old 01-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by cochran07
How do you like thos type R components up front? I've been considering em for awhile.
diggin 'em, i've heard the type s's and they are okay, but there's definitely a difference. i'd put these right up there wil JLs new C2s

Old 01-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by ABN31B

doesn't make much sense to cut the thing that normally covers what you are trying to install... when it was perfectly fine to just drop the new ones in
no, putting these underneath the previous covers would make it more difficult to project the sound correctly. with the grilles on the tweeters, plus the dash grille. i'd lose a LOT of sound. yes, if these new tweeters didn't already have covers then yeah, woulda gone right in place of the old ones, but this was the best option to projecting the most sound off my windshield into my car. good job.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:35 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dwhittaker
yeah dual 2s. I'm not ignorant. I know wiring...
never said you were ignorant.....

Old 01-23-2011, 02:01 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

wow, these audio guys are harsh. unless you do it the way they think is right, its garbage.

i mean, they have no idea what difference it made, and neither do i, but less stuff covering the speakers/tweeters must do more good than bad. looks good imo.

but then theres the age old rule that the tweeter should be within a certain distance from the mid. but to each his own.

Quick Reply: Sexy tweeter install