Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Show me your components locations

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Starting Member
mattjphoto is on a distinguished road
Default Show me your components locations

I'm thinking about adding a set of components to replace my factory speakers. I was wondering what locatoins you guys have used. I'm thinking of adding these... Amazon.com: Kicker 11KS65.2 6.5 inch. Component Speaker System (Kicker KS652): Electronics My vehicle is a 2002.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:00 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

Old 06-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Beginning Member
98ltboombox is on a distinguished road

01Vortec:
What all did you do to remove the stock speaker grille on your door? I've been thinking about doing that but, just haven't got around to it yet..any custom work or does it just pop off?

Old 06-02-2011, 10:58 PM

i cut them out with a jig saw

Old 06-03-2011, 09:17 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Me and vortec01 have remarkably similar tastes in this regard.

And here's how I cut mine out.

Just another way to do it. I felt it safer to do it that way, but the jigsaw would work just fine.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:08 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Dangit! Now I'm going to have to go and do that now! JK it looks awesome and I've been contiplating doing it for awhile now.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Starting Member
mattjphoto is on a distinguished road

According to Kicker the tweeter should be next to or 12" from the mid...idk where I want to mount. Thanks for the pics guys.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:12 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

The tweeter doesn't HAVE to be within 12" of the mid. The acoustics inside the vehicle may not lend itself well to them being that close with the mid in the factory mounting location, at least not in every vehicle. Notice that vortec01 has the tweeters for the mids in the doors all the way up at the top in the sail panel, with the comps in the kicks as well it probably really helped to raise the sound stage, I'm guessing. In my truck they sounded the most natural a couple of inches above the mid mounted right in the door card as you can see in the picture above. It will depend on your tastes and what sounds GOOD to YOUR EARS. Best thing to do is tie on a good length of wire to the tweeters and use some double sided tape, doubled over duct tape, or something of that nature to stick them in different locations and see which sounds the best to you.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:33 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I have so much to learn.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:37 PM

the tweets in the sail panels and the kicks did help raise the sound stage a little bit. time alignment helped out even more.

just mount them where you think sounds best. IMO, there is no best place to mount them. personal preference comes into play on that

Quick Reply: Show me your components locations