Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Sound Deafening?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Starting Member
97CountryJukeboxLt is on a distinguished road
Default Sound Deafening?

Alright, it's been about a year or two since i've dropped my system into my truck and it's starting to bother me that it shakes the frame and every single panel in the truck. Rockford Fosgate 2 12" P2 subs, Rockford Punch 300 4 channel Amp (it's tuned below factory levels). I love the shake but after a certain point it's rediculous, Is their anything i can do to reduce the massive vibrations, other than turn it down?

Old 12-15-2010, 11:05 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

You'll want to get some Butyl sound deadener mat. Companies like Dynamat (extreme is the best), Second Skin, Audiowrap, SDS (Sound Deadner Showdown), and RaamAudio's RaamMat are about the most common and arguably best products out there. Products like E-dead, BrownBread, FatMat and Peal 'n Seal are horrible and shouldn't be bothered with. The sound deadener will only help with sheet metal panel resonances. You'll need to put closed cell foam (CCF) and mass loaded vinyl (MLV) in between the plastic panels and where they mount to stop the worst of the rattles. It's NOT cheap to do a whole vehicle, and I've had great results just taking care of trouble spots instead, but if you're up for the challenge/cost and would really appreciate a VERY quiet vehicle doing the whole ride is the best way. Read up on here, http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi , Don has done EXTENSIVE research on sound deadening and the best practices. Read all his info and you'll have a much better idea of what it takes to do it right, and even how to skimp a few items and still have much better results.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:47 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

easiest way besides turning it down would be to lose a sub.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Starting Member
MrJP is an unknown quantity at this point

I've used Dynamat Extreme, SDS, and The Second Skin systems with excellent results. Recently, I used some Spectrum from Second Skin. It's a liquid spray/brush on. I highly recommend this over the Butyl mats. Doesn't solve all the squeeks, you still need the CCF and MLV for that. But if you put a good, reasonablly thick, coat of liquid seal on, you will be suprised at how well it works. But it is messy...

Old 12-19-2010, 10:11 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

i wrapped washers in hockey tape and jammed em between the panels lol i also have a few allen wrenches jammed in places too (in my jimmy of course!)

all those companies are too pricey. go to home depot, get peel n seal and some rubberized undercoating, and maybe some new door/panel christmas tree clips.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:59 PM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

or get a big boy system so you cant hear anything other then your lows and highs.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:39 PM
BF Veteran

even with an obnoxious system its still nice to listen to MUSIC once in a while, and vibrations dont help. you need to get rid of the crap china made alpine amp and get something that dc18 will actually enjoy

Old 12-29-2010, 09:27 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JShark
or get a big boy system so you cant hear anything other then your lows and highs.
damn people dont pull any punches when it comes to sound systems do they?

Old 12-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Beginning Member
fattest1here is on a distinguished road

if you wanna cut down on the cost you can always use peal n seal and lots of spray foam. all the sound deadoner does is kill some of the metal noise. the foams and fillers is what stops the interior from flexing so much.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:53 AM
BF Veteran

it also kills road noise and helps retain heat. also theoretically increases spl

Quick Reply: Sound Deafening?