Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Sound system=confusing. replacing everything

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 01:49 AM
Starting Member
xJakeLIKEShisBLAZERx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sound system=confusing. replacing everything

Well, I'm wanting some 6.5 infinities for the doors and 6x9s for the rear... Gotta 2 door.

I need to replace all these speakers cuz literally none of them work properly, and it's seriously annoying driving...I drive quiet haha

I'm gonna cut out the speaker covers in the door panels cuz the doors are loose and I think the infinities look too sharp to cover

Do I need an amp just for these speakers??
I'm gonna get a sub or two somewhere down the line...
I've got the diehard recommended for larger electrical operation.
I wanna run a pretty modest system, if just like good sound, don't wanna blow the doors off...
can't spend a ton either..
It also sucks cuz my dads an electrician and he's literally no help >

Any advice would be perfect! Thanks

Old 06-03-2012, 06:16 AM
Beginning Member
nitsudredle is on a distinguished road

I'm in the same boat. I've been told by a few people you don't have to run rear speakers. As for the amp I guess it depends on your rms watts for the speakers you choose. I have a thread pretty much same as yours.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Starting Member
zball94 is an unknown quantity at this point

You could run the speakers without an amp. However it would probably be best to replace the head unit as well. When I bought my blazer used, it had some pioneer 6x9s in the back with the stock radio. They never sounded above average until I got a cheap $80 JVC radio, now they sound amazing!

Old 06-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Starting Member

ok cool yeah I also have a nice jvc headunit brand new, got it at a swap meet

Old 06-04-2012, 12:24 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by xJakeLIKEShisBLAZERx
Well, I'm wanting some 6.5 infinities for the doors and 6x9s for the rear... Gotta 2 door.

I need to replace all these speakers cuz literally none of them work properly, and it's seriously annoying driving...I drive quiet haha

I'm gonna cut out the speaker covers in the door panels cuz the doors are loose and I think the infinities look too sharp to cover

Do I need an amp just for these speakers??
I'm gonna get a sub or two somewhere down the line...
I've got the diehard recommended for larger electrical operation.
I wanna run a pretty modest system, if just like good sound, don't wanna blow the doors off...
can't spend a ton either..
It also sucks cuz my dads an electrician and he's literally no help >

Any advice would be perfect! Thanks
You don't NEED an amp for the speakers, however they will get louder and sound much better doing it with an amp. Rear speakers are your choice but in all honesty they're really not necessary, especially with a good component set up front. You didn't mention any numbers on your budget and it would be easier to give some recommendations with a number but here's what I would recommend.

A 4 channel amp like one of these would suit your application very well without needing a lot of electrical upgrades and it would run your front speakers and one or two subs depending on which amp you chose by bridging the rear channels for the sub. These are about the cheapest amps I would trust and if your budget will allow for more money then there are nicer ones to get.
Vibe Audio DEATHBOXS4-V1 (one sub)
MB Quart ONX4.80 (one sub)
MB Quart ONX4.125 (two subs)

These subs are FANTASTIC for the money. My sister has a single 12 that continues to amaze me. One or two of them would do very well in whichever size you are willing to give up the room for.
SSA DCON series subwoofers

A properly built enclosure would be paramount to ensuring you get the most from any subwoofer you choose. Whatever you do, don't fall for the cheap prices on mass produced pre-built enclosures. Also when it comes to power, whether it's over powering a speaker or under powering a subwoofer it's not as critical as you think. A little headroom, or extra power can be a good thing as long as it's not abused. One has to learn to listen for stress to prevent damage in any situation, but especially when over powering. People have a tendency to concentrate too hard on the numbers when it comes to power to subwoofers as well. If you buy a sub that's rated 300wrms and feed it 250wrms, you're NEVER going to hear any audible difference between that 50 watts.

I also am curious as to which Infinity speakers you're interested in, but it seems like you may be on the right track to a good modest little system in any event.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Starting Member

Yeah so what do you think about the mbQUART 4.80 with that DCON 12"??
Would that be appropriate?
And the infinities are just bestbuys $89 pair reference x series

Old 06-10-2012, 03:44 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by xJakeLIKEShisBLAZERx
Yeah so what do you think about the mbQUART 4.80 with that DCON 12"??
Would that be appropriate?
And the infinities are just bestbuys $89 pair reference x series
I think that as long as you build, or have it built, the proper enclosure for the DCON sub you won't believe what it will do, honestly. Using that amp bridged will supply it with plenty of power and the overall result will not disappoint you at all. If you're already going to spend $90 on the Infinity's I would highly suggest going around and listening to more options first. There's quite a few very nice sounding component sets that can be had for that price or just a little more online that could very well make you happier than those Infinity's can. Listening to coax's in a display board generally sounds much better than they do when they're installed in a door.