Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Sound Tech Newbie here!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:17 PM
zombiepkx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sound Tech Newbie here!

So, I came across [what used to be a 2001$] stereo system I got for free, through a chain of events.

It came with 4 Oval speakers (Dimensions unknown, seems to be about 7x4")

2 Small round tweeters, about 2x2".

2 Amps, not sure on the power in/out, I think one is 4x80, and the other 2x120 or something goofy like that.

1 Subwoofer, (Truck Sub) 1x15" speaker,

And all the cabling.
I know all about the hooking up the remote amp wire, the RCA wires, and all that jazz, I have the power cable going to the hood, and the big ol' fuse out of the cable, but I was wondering,
Where should I go from here?

I was told you're to take off the ground wire from the battery no matter what, hook up the amp cable to the red diode, hook it up to the amp, and then ground it.

Any help on hooking this son of a gun up?
Also,

I was wondering if there's a nice spot to run the cable besides under the driver-side trim, and if there's a nice spot to put the cabling from the back of my head unit through my truck, so that it's almost unseen,

I am willing to expirement with taking the carpeting off if needed

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Starting Member
viper4559 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Sound Tech Newbie here!

One thing that is a law is you always hook grounds up first, and take them off last.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:37 PM
hockeykid15 is an unknown quantity at this point

YES!!! completely disconnect your battery before adding anything to it. for my sub i ran the power cable along the drivers side (under the trim) and the rca's and remote amp wire along the passanger side (also under trim). if you really want to take up the carpet go for it. but you will probably be in for more work than you really want.it is easiest to do it under the trim. i pulls right up.

as far as running the wires to you HU... that is faily easy too. i pulled off my front dash panal and the panal by the passanger's feet and ran the wires through there.

make sure you have everything hooked up before you reattach you batery. mianly make sure you ground your amp. i grounded mine on one of the backets for the back seat (very easy).

once you have everything grounded correctly and everything is hooked up how it should be. reconnect the battery and test it out.

this whole process took me and a buddy about 2 hours (was also our first time doing this kind of thing)

hope this helps some

Old 04-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

I run power wire under pass side trim, easy because of the grommet to pass through the firewall. signal cables run down drivers side. Ground the amps under rear seat, under a 19 mm bolt on drivers side. sand it down and bolt it down tight. if you have model number of the equipment you have, I can tell you the best way to hook things up.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:12 AM

Thanks so much guys!
Hillbilly, I'll be sure to look into that, because I'm kind of unsure, I believe my head unit is the KDC-410s or something of the sort, That's just a guess, the number is similar, but thanks so much for the help, I know that if I didn't ask, I'd probably keep the battery connected - Common sense isn't something natural for me, haha.

I'm intrigued by grounding the wire under the passenger side seat, And honestly, I believe that sounds like a pretty nice tactic since then I only have to mess with one battery diode [Besides removing them both.]

I didn't really see a directly forward response on how to get the cabling out of the back of my head unit through a better place such as under the center console that runs between the front seats or anything,

But I'm not sure if I just misread something - since there were a few suggestions.
I'll write down all of the possibilities/information from here, for points in which I can run cable,

Thanks everyone - all of your information is really helpful!

Old 04-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Administrator

People usually dont run cables down the center. you just fish it off to either side and run it back under the trim. That ground i gave you is the second best ground in our trucks.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:41 AM

Thanks again man,
Rabbit was right, you're definitely a pro

I'll go for the under-the-seat ground then, Less cable needed to be ran.

Quick question - will I have to rip the carpeting up or anything?

Old 04-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Administrator

thank you for the ego stroke!

but anyways, no carpet to pull up. just put the back seats down, then lift up the cover panel that folds down. on drivers side, there is the seat bracket. there is a 19mm bolt there that kinda looks outta place. Pull that bolt off, sand it down(make it shiny, very,very important), and then bolt your ground down with it!

Old 04-23-2007, 01:32 PM

Excellent! Thank you so much.
I took your advice,
Took out the ash tray under the dash, unbolted the panels underneath the dash (Center + Passenger Side)
And ran the cable from the back of the head unit, back and behind it, the Climate controls, and under the panel,
Then stomped it all under the panel, it fit nice and snug!

The cable is actually fed through where I'll have to ground it, so that'll be easy as heck to ground

Thanks for all the help, I think I've got the rest on my own

Old 04-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Administrator

good to hear. post up if you have any other problems

Quick Reply: Sound Tech Newbie here!