Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Speaker advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 02:57 AM
DarkRose is on a distinguished road
Question Speaker advice

Ok, so trying not to look too stupid here...
Got a 97 Blazer LS 4-door, according to the sticky at the top, it has 6 3/4 speakers in the front doors, and 5 1/4 in the back doors, so hoping that's correct, because the system at Crutchfield lists both for the rear doors as fitting with brackets, and I want something that's basically a drop-in...

Here's the question: Looking for recommendations for rear door speakers, got one blown, so I've got a good excuse to upgrade now. Got a Kenwood CD up front (forget the model, an earlier, less options model similar to the KDC-BT948HD). I'm looking for speakers with minimal fitting, basically drop-in, prefer to stick with Kenwood or Infinity, and not break the bank (under $100). What are my decent options?

Also, option for 4x6 dash speakers that fit with the factory grilles. Had issues before with buying speakers for another vehicle that stuck "up" too much and wouldn't fit, or the magnet wouldn't fit underneath because of A/C ducting or whatever...

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Beginning Member
Badmonkey32 is on a distinguished road

well i would take a look at alpine type s speakers for the back doors because i know they have a 5 1/4 size, and for the front you could pretty much get any kind of speaker that is 6 inches because i believe that the front stock speakers are 6 inches. If i were you i would just leave the front stock speakers in it because they sound pretty good, but the rear door speakers dont sound that great.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:08 PM

Well I'm not upgrading the front door speakers just yet, when I get to those it'll probably be component system with tweeters and a crossover. And I haven't seen anything listing them as 6", just 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 or 6 3/4...

Right now just looking for good back door replacement speakers and decent in-dash speakers that will actually fit.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Starting Member
Senshi09 is on a distinguished road

i personally like big sound with big bang without the use of an amp. So I would go with Sony Xplode speakers. They are supposed to be awesome sounding with a lot of bang to them. Cheap and reliable. $38 each at wally world.

Rear Speaker - Sony Xplod XS-R1344 5-1/4" 4-Way Speakers:
Impedance: 4 ohms
Frequency Response: 60-23,000Hz
Power Handling Capacity: 160W
Ferrite/Neodymium magnets
PEN mid-range

Dash Speaker - Sony Xplod XS-R4644 4" x 6" 4-Way Speakers:
Frequency Response: 80-23,000Hz
Power Handling Capacity: 140W
PEN mid-range

But thats just my opinion on them. I personally used them in previous vehicles and have had huge sound out of them without an amp. So I can only suggest them to anyone else who is looking into new speakers.

Last edited by Senshi09; 10-09-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:39 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

you can also get 2 sets of infinity reference speakers for $125 shipped that will fit in your locations with zero issues.

I had a set of the infinity coaxial speakers in my dash for a couple months and had no problems putting the stock grille back on.

they sounded fine off of my radio. I also had infinity in my doors. great speakers for a low budget sound

Old 10-12-2011, 04:53 AM

That's what I'm eyeballing right now, either Infinity Reference or possibly some Polk speakers... Getting ready to upgrade my home audio with Polk speakers based on good reviews on performance for the price...

Old 10-13-2011, 02:05 AM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

Polk actually sounds really good. I do installs as a part time job while i'm in school and just recently replaced 4 door speakers in a cadillac dts with all polk coaxials and the customer loved them more than the bose. we left the sub alone because it provided enough bump for him.

DB series polk coaxials are what i used fyi

Old 10-13-2011, 01:50 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

There's a terrific sale on Aura speakers and amps at Parts Express right now. Very well built equipment on clearance for some fantastic prices. I'm thinking of grabbing up a few sets of the 6.5" components just to have lying around for a rainy day.

Parts Express Aura Clearance Sale

Old 10-14-2011, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
There's a terrific sale on Aura speakers and amps at Parts Express right now. Very well built equipment on clearance for some fantastic prices. I'm thinking of grabbing up a few sets of the 6.5" components just to have lying around for a rainy day.

Parts Express Aura Clearance Sale
Never heard of Aura, are they any good? The clearance prices there make me leery of "walmart special" quality and sound...

Old 10-14-2011, 10:52 PM
Carrico4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Senshi09
i personally like big sound with big bang without the use of an amp. So I would go with Sony Xplode speakers. They are supposed to be awesome sounding with a lot of bang to them. Cheap and reliable. $38 each at wally world.

Rear Speaker - Sony Xplod XS-R1344 5-1/4" 4-Way Speakers:
Frequency Response: 60-23,000Hz
Power Handling Capacity: 160W
PEN mid-range

Dash Speaker - Sony Xplod XS-R4644 4" x 6" 4-Way Speakers:
Frequency Response: 80-23,000Hz
Power Handling Capacity: 140W
PEN mid-range

But thats just my opinion on them. I personally used them in previous vehicles and have had huge sound out of them without an amp. So I can only suggest them to anyone else who is looking into new speakers.

For a step above stock, get these as replacements, but they will blow/burn out easily. IMO they don't have that big bang and they don't hit the highs....after a few more months ill be putting in a full alpine type r system in my truck, ill let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Speaker advice