Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Speaker issues....

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:48 PM
PVT Pablo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Speaker issues....

So I just installed a pair of 4x6 Kenwood eXcelons in the dash, and a pair of 6 1/4 Kenwood excelons in the door. Now, they sound great.... at low and medium volume. Heres the wierd part, the 4x6's click like crazy, but the 6 1/4's are crisp maxed out. So, what gives?

I want to keep the 4x6's because they add so much clairity, but I can't crank my system anymore like I could with the factory tweeters.

Do I need a speaker amp? Do I need a better deck? Optimally, I would like to fix this problem without having to spend any more money, because they're not that MUCH improvement over stock. Don't get me wrong, they sound beautiful, just not enough for me to feel ok paying 200 bucks for an amp, and having to wire it.

(right now I'm running the two 4x6's, two eXcelon 6 1/4's, and two factory 6 1/4's, and 2 RF 12' subs powered with 400W RF amp, and a Alpine CDA-9872)

Old 02-17-2009, 08:47 PM
BudRacing is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Speaker issues....

What I'm thinking is that they're not getting the same power that the factory speakers were. The speakers you took out were meant to work together and give a 4ohm total load. Now that you've replaced those speakers with two 4ohm sets of speakers, each channel is seeing an 8 ohm total load and you're only seeing about half the power.

Your best bet would be to find a cheap 2 or 4 channel amp to run the new speakers. You would NOT have to spend $200. $100 will buy you a decent 2-4 channel amp on ebay. Either power the set of door speakers with the 2 channel and run the dash speakers off the HU, or run them all on the 4 channel, it's up to you and what kinda deals you find.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:11 PM

That all makes sense... except the factory 6's were 4 ohms, and so were the tweeters. So thats 8 ohms, im only at 6 ohms now.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:02 AM

I couldn't find the impedence rating on my dash tweeters, i just figured they were designed to give a total of 4 ohms when mated with the factory mids in the doors.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:51 AM

I noticed too that if i cut the bass from the HU going to the speakers, the dash speakers quit clicking. With my deck, is it possible to install something to stop the bass signal from going to the dash speakers only and still allow bass to the doors? Is it possible even too that i am over powering the 4x6's?

Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 AM

Yes, they're called bass blockers. You can find them at partsexpress.com

Old 02-18-2009, 04:20 PM
oakleyg is an unknown quantity at this point

Why would he need bass blockers when his deck has a built in highpass filter?

Old 02-18-2009, 06:44 PM

Yeah, the deck can cut all the bass going to the speakers, but I dont necessarily want that. I only want to get rid of the bass going to the 4x6's. I took your advice Bud and went and got a set of Stinger 0-600hz Bass Blockers and i literally just got done installing them. From the first 5 minutes of driving around, it worked out great. Theres no more distortion comming from the 4x6's and the 6 1/4's are still thumpin away.

It was worth the $9.99. Thanks =D

In the last 24 hours, i just upgraded my door speakers, added a pair of 4x6's and got my subs tuned perfectly.

Maybe i'll watch a movie in it tonight instead of my living room.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:55 PM

Glad to be of service captain stubing.